Thursday, February 19, 2015

~it will be for me as well~

It will be soon time to leave the high desert country of southern California and slowly make the journey back to Montrose and the San Juan Mountains of southwestern Colorado.  Our time is nearly through here and although much was accomplished, there will be more to finish at a later date.  For now it is time to go home.  

I learned a lot about this state during my time here, a place that was once the destination point of many people during the Great Depression and the days of the Dust Bowl.  They came here searching for a better life, one that would put money in their pockets and food in their hungry bellies.  Some of them found prosperity and stayed while others decided to try elsewhere or even to turn around and go home.  California is the third largest state in the U.S.  by geographical area and a place where one can find deserts, mountains, lakes and even an oasis or two.  Over 40,000,000 people live here and it was a pleasure to be able to stay with two of the finest of them, Mike's aunt and uncle.  For their kindness and hospitality we are most beholden.  I will miss those two folks and every opportunity we had to sit around their table, drink coffee and talk together.  They are my kind of people.

Thank you for everything, Aunt Marli and Uncle Mike.

You know, I also learned a lot about myself while I was here and by the way, that seems to be an ongoing process with me these days.  While I can now cross off "finally go to Utah" from my list of 60 things to do before I turn 60, I am adding on a new one to take its place.  I want to learn how to make origami balls just like Mike's late step-mother Maggie did.  When Mike and I were in California last April to visit her, I asked if she might teach me how to make them.  She happily obliged.  I will always remember that morning on the day before we left to return back to Colorado.  Maggie and I sat down at the kitchen table and had a lesson in Japanese paper folding.  I was very interested in learning from her and she was happy to teach me what she knew.  After a couple of hours worth of trying with limited success, we decided to unfold what we had done and give it up for the time being.  I began the process of unwrapping the two that we had created and to my pleasant surprise, they had taken on the form of two crosses.  Maggie signed her initials on them for me and they now occupy a special place inside of a scrapbook that she made for Mike to remember his father by.  

 I didn't realize it fully at the time but Maggie was giving me a gift that morning that was far more valuable and precious than anything she could have placed into my hands to bring back to the mountains of Colorado.  The real treasure that Maggie gave me that day was the gift of her time and of her presence.  I will always remember that about her and perhaps I can honor her memory by learning how to make my own some day.  At least I'm going to give it a try and not only will it be for Margaret Renfro.

It will be for me as well.


From April of 2014~at Twentynine Palms, California
I actually thought they turned out pretty well.  They weren't origami balls but then again, maybe they were never supposed to be.
Maggie, so glad to have known you if even for just a little while.  You were a very special woman and I will hold the memory of our short time together in my heart.  I learned more from you in 3 short days than some people are able to acquire in a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment