Wednesday, April 29, 2015

as time winds down.....

Little by little, we are making progress in readying ourselves for the move that will take us more than 800 miles away from our home here in Rocky Mountains to the southeast.  It's been an arduous task but we are making it just fine.  I wouldn't want to do it every year but in the months prior to my turning 60 years of age,  I think I can survive it.  Let me rephrase that.

I know that I can.

When the calendar turns to the first of May, come the day after tomorrow, we will be down to the last 3 weeks of time.  Those 21 days will be most precious to us as we continue to pack all that must go with us, clean up the house and yard, and say our "farewells" to the people who have meant so much to us during our stay here along the way.  We are anxious to go and see what lies ahead of us but before doing so, we must finish tying up the loose ends of our world here along the Western Slopes.

This is the time of the year when lots of different folks are making the decision, just like us, to move to a new place.  Perhaps it is only across town or just down the road a bit.  It could be like us as we make the choice to move to a totally different time zone.  Whatever the case, be it 8 miles away or 800, the best advice I could give any of them is this.

"Travel as lightly as you can."

In our packing, we have been able to decide to get rid of lots of different items that we really no longer needed.  It's been kind of amazing to see what all we have accumulated and just how much we really can part with.   Mike and I are "2" people and for the life of me, I'm not sure why I've been saving that nice set of dish ware that serves 24.  We headed to the store a couple of months back in Grand Junction and bought a very functional 4-piece place setting of dishes that would serve our needs very well.  Both of us went through our closets and culled a huge amount of clothes that are never worn enough to warrant the space that they take up in our bedroom.  It takes less time to decide what to wear each morning when you have less to choose from.  Between home and school I had probably close to 4 dozen houseplants and I knew how difficult it might be to transport them to a new place.  I gave my geraniums away to a dear friend at school, tagged a few of the Christmas cactus to save for the journey, and plan to sell the remaining ones at our garage sale on Friday.  The list could go on and on.

Traveling lightly is less stressful.  Plain and simple and you know what?  I like that idea.

It's the early morning here and soon it shall be time to go school.  "The 20" will be there waiting for me in just 3 hours more.  14.5 days remain for us to be together and each of those days will provide the chance to make a few more memories for my heart to take with me.  I had no idea that they were waiting here for me 2 years ago when I came to stay.  3 years ago I would have never known there was any other "Olathe" in this world besides the great Olathe, Kansas.      With the utmost of respect to the community and the people of Olathe, Colorado, one thing I know now is this.

"I will miss that wonderful place and all the people therein."

                                    
                                 You never know where the path might take you.


                                 It's a long ways from this place to where I am today.


No comments:

Post a Comment