Sunday, October 18, 2015

~at least we had the summer~

Mike's dear Aunt Margaret passed away on Friday of this past week.  After lingering for days, the good Lord above finally took her home to Heaven.  She'd been ready and waiting for some time now and when she would question us as to why she was still here, we'd always have the same answer.

"He's not ready just yet for you.  There must be something left for you to do here on earth."

She always had the same look upon her face, one of resignation and hope that some day, some how, He would call for her.  Three days ago, God did just that.

I first met her in the spring of 2014 when Mike and I traveled to her home in Texas.  I could tell from the moment I met her, from the instant I shook hands with her, that she was a wonderful woman.  We had a nice visit and promised to return once again in the spring next year and it was a promise that we kept.

When we met her in the springtime of 2015, Mike and I had some news to share with her.  We told her that when school was out in late May, we were packing up our belongings and heading to Texas.  It would be a move that would take us only an hour or so from her home here.  We told her how thrilled we would be to come and visit her anytime we wished, not just once a year.  She was so surprised and very happy that soon we would be close by her.  

Shortly after we arrived in late May, she fell ill and after some hospital stays it was decided that she would need to enter long term nursing home care.  Mike and I felt bad because we had wanted to share part of life with her and so we determined to make the best of it, right alongside her.

Every weekend this summer of 2015, save only one of them in July, we made the journey to the nursing home about 45 miles away from our home.  She was always so happy to see us and a smile always lit up her face when we walked in.  Aunt Margaret was especially taken with Mike and many times I could see her looking at him with a special glow.  She would take hold of his hand and usually say the same thing each time.

"You sure look like your dad.  You even look like my daddy."

Seeing Mike made her happy and whenever he was there, he would lay his nice soft hand across her face.  Aunt Margaret always loved that special loving caress and I'm sure that it made everything seem all right just for the moment.  Each time we left it was with the promise that we would return the next weekend, no matter what.  That promise we surely did keep.

When we saw her together about 10 days ago, I knew that it would be the last time.  Even though she could not respond, we talked to her and loved on her as much we could.  We read the 23rd Psalm to her and told her we would indeed see her in Heaven some day.  I didn't go back again.

Because of things beyond my control, I won't be able to attend her services this week.  I wish that I could but I know that she would most certainly understand.  I was feeling bad about that, mostly because I have been raised up to do those kinds of things.  Honoring the dead by attending their final services is a gift to them.  But I think looking back, that I finally understand what it means to "honor the living" before they are dead and gone from the earth.  So many times folks don't take the time to go and visit people while they are here, saying they are too busy or the timing isn't right.  Then they hustle to get to the funeral as a final gesture.  I have been as guilty of that as anyone.  It's just human nature I suppose.

I'm thankful that I honored her while she was still here.  I'm grateful that the good Lord above allowed Mike and I to make the move to this part of the earth before it was too late.  We had no idea when we came to Texas that this would be the case.  Now we are aware and feel very blessed.

Aunt Margaret was a sweet, kind and dear woman who didn't dwell on the drama of life.  She never went on and on about herself or her troubles.  Instead she chose to focus on the positive and became a true source of encouragement for me and for Mike as well.  She gave me so many gifts and they were not things of a material nature.  Rather, they were gifts of the spirit.  I will always remember her for that.  

I will miss her as will Mike.  I'm so sorry that our time with her was limited to only one summer.  We missed out on a lot together with her but one thing is for sure.

We give thanks to her Lord and ours as well that we had any time at all.

Rest in peace dear one.

Our first meeting, April of 2014

At least we had the summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment