Thursday, October 13, 2016

~we choose to stick together~

From cold and wet north Texas, good evening everyone.
The day is winding down to its final hours and tomorrow October 13, 2016 will be in the past. Another day shall arrive to take its place and that which happened today will remain as precious memories.

This is the 998th blog post that I have written since this blog's inception, now over 5 years ago.  I can't say that I have anything profound to say tonight, but I am grateful to have had the ability to record the memories of the last 5 years of my life.  I thought about stopping when I got to the 100th one, but I didn't.  I even gave consideration to calling it "good" after I wrote my 500th one.  As it all turned out, I didn't quit.  I just kept writing.

I have written about so many things that have happened not only in my life, but in the lives of others as well.  I have written so much that sometimes when I look at the old posts, I really can't remember what they might have even been about.  It's actually kind of fun to go back and reread them as I realize the kind of life that I lived on that particular day.  I smile at some of them and remember with a profound sense of sadness at many of the others.

One thing is for certain.
I have enjoyed a marvelous and exceedingly full life.

As I look back at all the pictures that have accompanied these posts, I can't help but to be thankful for everything blessing that I've been given, as well as every heartache that I have had to bear witness to.  I picked out 10 of the old photos to share with you in this 998th posting.  It's not easy to just choose 10.  Every single picture that I used told a story on its own merit.  These were my favorites, well at least for tonight.  

Someone once asked me why it was that I wrote so much.  I often times have asked some of them why it was that they didn't write.  Mostly people have responded that they didn't know how to or there just wasn't any time left over in the already busy day.

If I could give people a bit of advice in this the 998th story to be written, then I would surely say to them the following.  

"Why not begin a diary? You don't have to do it online.  Sometimes the best of stories are written in our own handwriting in the pages of a notebook.  Think that you don't have time to do it? Do it regardless of how much time you have, even if it means that you only scrawl in a few sentences each night.  Not sure what to write?  Write what is on your mind and nestled deep inside your heart.  Don't think you are good enough to put your thoughts into words?  Try anyways!  You might be pleasantly surprised if you do.  You might regret it if you do not."
I would venture to say that a whole lot of my stories reflect around the state of my birth.  This sign means everything to me.
Often times I have written about the 9-year old girl that I used to be.  I love it when "she" comes to visit in my stories.  I'm pretty sure that I type them with a smile on my face.
This old "round head" cat sure could cause some trouble.  Wouldn't have traded her for the world.  My dear Oblio~how I loved her.  Often times she would join me, just like in this picture, as I typed my early morning blog posts from the dining room table back in Kansas.
Mostly my life has revolved around being a teacher.  So very many of my stories have reflected my feelings for what I love to describe as the "greatest and most noble" of jobs on earth.
Hey, I was heading back home to Kansas that first winter of '13, no matter what amount of snow fell from the skies.  I was determined to celebrate the holidays with my family back there.
How I love the people of my hometown.
Haven, Kansas raised me up to be the woman that I am this day.
I learned that snow and winter aren't as bad as I have always complained they were.  It was a cold and snowy day back in the mountains when this picture was taken.
Meeting Norman Horn back in the summer of '14 was a life changing experience for Mike and I.  I was so glad to be able to walk the last couple of miles with him as he left Colorado and entered Kansas.
One of the earliest pictures that was posted on this blog was this one, taken in June of 2011 while I was on the Bike Across Kansas.  It was about a hundred billion degrees in the shade that day.  
He was the blessing that God sent to me in later years.  For better or worse and all the times that come in between, we choose to stick together.

No comments:

Post a Comment