Saturday, November 12, 2016

~and I think that it is already happening~

We have an act of kindness jar in our classroom at school.  The kids filled it with marbles to overflowing last week and emptied the jar out to begin again.  Already it is starting to grow.  The only instruction I gave them this time around was this.

"This time we are not going to count saying "thank you" to someone or holding the door open for everyone.  I expect by now that you would do that automatically from your heart and so even though that act of kindness won't get us another marble in the jar, please don't stop doing it.  I want you to think of as many other things as you can.  It won't be that hard if you only look and listen to those around you."

And that was the truth.  Kind things were happening all around them and they hadn't even thought of them.

One child told me that the bus driver said "good morning" and made them feel better.  Another student said that at lunch time she noticed another kid picking up the trash that someone left behind.  Two boys came to me on Friday with the same report.  They had both been looking after the little kids on the playground, making sure that they didn't get hurt.  The sweetest little girl said that we needed to remember all the snacks that Mrs. St. Clair gives us.  

"Mrs. Renfro, we have had a bunch of snacks because Mrs. St. Clair loves us.  Now that's an act of kindness, isn't it?"  

And the list went on and on.

I hate it that the world is filled with so much hatred right now.  It's hard to explain to children who ask about it when I don't even understand it myself.  The only thing I know to do is to continue to encourage kindness where ever and whenever they can.  It might be the act of benevolence from someone other than themselves.  Perhaps they shall see their parent allowing someone to go first at the intersection or giving up their place in line at the supermarket to another person who has only a few items.  Maybe they will see their teacher show compassion when someone forgets their homework or gives a well needed "do over" on a test that didn't turn out so well.  

It could happen, you know?

I listened carefully this week to the kids.  There were still voices that said "please", "thank you", and "you're welcome" to others and somehow or another, without fail, the door was always held open by another kid.  I have faith that they are learning the lesson that I set out for this to be.  I want them to learn to be kind automatically without any regard to receiving an award for doing it.

The good news is this.
I think it is already happening.

My sisters and I learned the fine art of kindness by watching the example of our mother.  Last year when I taught at Petrolia, one of the 5th grade girls asked me how it was that I was so kind to the kids in class.  I told her it was because that was the way I was raised.  It's what my mom would have expected from me.

I'm 61 years old now and my mom has been gone for over 9 years. 
I still remember her teaching me.
I don't plan to be forgetting any time soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment