Wednesday, November 9, 2016

~and Layne is one of them~

It was the sweetest thing to see the look on that young man's face this morning as he approached me just as soon as he made his way into the classroom.  I couldn't figure out for a moment what on earth he was carrying in his hands.  Upon closer examination, I could see that he'd been building again.

"Hey I made this for you, Mrs. Renfro.  It's your classroom!"

Sure enough he was right.
It was.  

I couldn't believe my eyes as I stared down at his creation.  For goodness sake, it WAS just like our classroom.  There in miniature, including the tiniest of details, were some of the things that surround me during the 7 hours that we are all together in one room.  It was amazing!  Really, very amazing.


There was the little teacher, which of course was me.  She sits at her own desk appropriately labeled "Mrs. Renfro".  You might notice the computer screen in front of her with the logo on it as well as an apple for the teacher on her desk.  Now it's a little hard to tell from looking at the photo, but in one hand she has her pointer for pointing out those things that are much too high for her to reach.  In the other hand rests her cell phone.  I smiled when I saw this and had to think for a minute why he included it.  More than likely it's because it's the only place I have a timer when I need to use one.  The little guy to the left in the picture is the young man who designed this whole thing.  He is one of "the 19" and his name is Layne.  He's a builder extraordinaire.


He remembered to put the sink right behind me, just like it is in our classroom.
Layne even made the place where I hang my purse and you might notice that $100 bill just waiting for me to spend it.  He didn't spare any of the details.  For the record, I wish I did have a $100 bill.
This bird's eye view puts it all in perspective.  See that whiteboard?  It's just like the one in our room and all of the black on it is our math problems, I believe.  There are extra chairs for kids to sit on and although you can't see it, there is actually a blue KU poster hanging along one side of it.  By the way, I'm also wearing a KU blue t-shirt, just like I always do.  I'm telling you, this kid doesn't miss much.

And here he is.

Receiving this special gift this morning reminded me of a somber thought.  In my mind, I can see this young man growing up some day and becoming an engineer or an architect or hey, maybe something totally different.  I see such wonderful things ahead for him in his future. In the years that will come after third grade, Layne will grow and change.  I am older now and at age 61,  I would like to think that I will be around long enough to see him reach adulthood. Maybe I can.

Perhaps I will not.

But if I am not around when that time comes, I will always be glad that I was his teacher this year.  I'm doing everything I can for him while he is in my care.  I want to have no regrets as to how I taught him and all of the other kids as well.  They mean everything to me.  

Everything.

Sometimes the days in our classroom are rough and other times they run smoothly.  We are a classroom community and as such we practice the fine art of sticking together.  No matter how the day goes or how it ends up, when those 19 children head out the door for home, I want them to know how much they are loved by me and that their place in this room is special.

Layne is one of them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment