Wednesday, March 15, 2017

~and as we read on~

The halfway through point of spring break has arrived.  Our days away from school have flown by quickly, just as I knew they would.  Sooner than later, we will be returning to the classroom next Monday to finish up the last 9 weeks of school for this year.  I say it over and over, even more often as I grow older.

Where does it all go to?
Time surely flies when you are living your life.

I ran into one of the kids from school at the public library here in town last week as I was returning the books our classroom had checked out.  She was gathering up a store of books to be reading while on spring break and I complimented her on it.  Her comment to me was short and sweet when I asked her why she was getting so many books.  That sweet girl's words made this teacher's heart smile.

"I just like reading books, Mrs. Renfro."
Not sure if I could have asked for any better response.

That little freckle face girl got me to thinking of what I was doing as far as reading was concerned back when I was the ripe old age of 8, just like she is now.  At that time we were still living on our family farm that was tucked 7 miles back in the sand hills of Harvey County, Kansas.  A trip to the library hardly ever happened in those days.  There were 7 of us kids and with a dad who was a farmer as well as a mom who didn't know how to drive, well you can understand why going to the library would have been considered a rarity.

That's because it was.

One of the things that I do remember reading were all of the old magazines and newspapers that my grandmother would bring out when she came to visit us from town.  It was always a treat to see her old pale yellow Chevy with green trim coming down the dirt road and to know that inside on the back seat there would be a brown paper bag with its edges folded down.  Nestled deep inside would be copies of the Newton newspaper, Capper's Weekly, and the Grit that the little kid down the block delivered as he rode his bike up and down Locust Street.  I could sit and read that kind of material for hours on end.

And I did.

I enjoyed reading everything that she brought, but I was actually most partial to the Newton Kansan. My favorite part of the paper was the wedding section and I would peruse the official marriage announcements upon opening it up.  I would read their stores, awestruck at how beautiful their ceremonies must have been.  Unlike today, when wedding reports are brief and to the point, back in 1963 there were detailed descriptions about the bride's gown.  A reader knew just how long the train of the dress was, what kind of neckline was fashioned, whether it was made of lace or satin, and every little tiny detail of the headpiece that the bride wore.  The same kind of writing went into describing everything from the attendants' dresses to what the keeper of the guest register wore. Everything was included and in my little 8 year old mind, I could imagine just what it was like to be there.

I miss that kind of reading.
It reminds me of my grandmother.

One of the important things that I desire for all children is that they always have access to as many books and other reading materials as they can get their hands on.  Children don't have as much left to the imagination these days, and much of what they have is technology driven.  I appreciate all the modern conveniences to be sure, but I just hope that children don't lose sight of the power and knowledge that holding the printed word in their hands provides.

A book, a flashlight, and a kid reading past their bedtime.
Now that's my favorite kind of picture.
Read on people.
Read on.


The little girl that I used to be was quiet and shy.  She loved reading and imagining a world that was just waiting for her to find it.  One day, that little girl did just that.






No comments:

Post a Comment