Saturday, June 3, 2017

~and I hope that they find Big Pasture~

At the ripe old age of going on 62 years old, I'm scheduled for my very first hearing test in a couple of weeks more.  It was necessary because my good husband Mike will NOT stop mumbling.  If you have been in my shoes, you know what that means.  I'm having a little trouble, especially when people speak in lower tones.  I'll go and get it checked out and if all is well then that's good.  If not, well I guess I will deal with it then.

So much for perfect hearing.  
Must be all of that music on the jukebox in my folks' restaurant back in the '70s. 
If I lost part of my hearing because of 3 Dog Night or Creedence Clearwater Revival, then so be it.  It was worth it.

Strange as it sounds, a couple of days back I had no trouble at all hearing a really soft voice, a command of sorts.  It caught me so off guard that I stopped in my tracks and listened, not only with my ears but with my heart as well.  I really believe that it was God's still small voice and that voice was telling me to check online to see if any teaching jobs were available in a nearby town.

And so I did.

When I woke up that morning, the last thing on my mind was switching schools for next year. Trust me.  It wasn't even on the radar.  I was happy at my present school and looking forward to another year in the fall.  I was eager to begin teaching a new group of third graders as well as keeping in contact with the kids that I moved along to 4th grade.  It was the plan I had worked out and had begun to bank upon.

God had a different idea.

I paid a visit to the new school and ended up being offered a position for next year which I gladly accepted.  I believe it's going to be quite a good learning experience for me and since I consider myself a life long learner, well that works out pretty well.  My plans for next year changed on a dime a few mornings back and all because of one thing.

I listened to God's command, given to me with His still small voice.

Sometimes I wonder how many chances I have missed out on simply because I either didn't hear Him calling me or I heard correctly but chose to go my own way.  Probably that has happened more often than I would care to own up to.  How about you?  Have you ever felt that way?

Today Mike helped me to take home the very last of my things from my old classroom at Big Pasture.  All of the Kansas remembrances that decorated my room, all of my books and other materials, school supplies that I had on hand, and a carload full of other things are now sitting in the back of our cars until I can take them to my new school.  When I left for the last time this morning, I took a quick glance back and marveled at the emptiness and the quiet that the room now offers.  It was home to 21 9-year olds and their teacher for the past 9 months.  

I wonder, will it will miss us?

I don't know what the future will hold for me in this upcoming 40th year of education, but I look for it to be my best year ever.  I go forth in total faith that something very wonderful is waiting for me there.  I have learned an important thing since I left Kansas 4 years ago.  There are children who need good teachers to find them no matter where you are in this big world of ours.  I'm soon fixing to find out just who those dear children might be.

God has realigned the universe one more time for me.  I'm not afraid of the challenge at all. The way I figure it, He wouldn't just bring me out to the wilderness and drop me off to fend for myself.  I know for certain that God will go with me.  There's nothing to be fearful of, no reason for any worry on my part.  

Somewhere out there, another teacher is looking for a classroom just like the one I have left in Big Pasture.  God has begun the process of realigning that person's life as well.  They will hear just like I did, that same still small voice.  Whoever they are, I hope for one thing.

I hope they find Big Pasture.



Wherever I have gone, my life has always revolved around children.  These special ones were part of my classroom in 2010 when I retired for the first time from Kansas.  7 years later, here I still am!



No comments:

Post a Comment