Wednesday, June 21, 2017

~Do you think we will be just like the Beltz sisters?"

Carrie and Esther Beltz were two "old maid" schoolteachers from back home in Haven, Kansas.  They taught there for many years, nearly as long as my sister Sherry and I have been teachers together.  One of them taught first grade while the other taught second grade.  They left a wonderful legacy for others to follow and to reap the benefits from.  They were special ladies who stuck together as sisters and best friends.  I loved them both.

A couple of days before Sherry passed away, she said to me~

"Peggy, do you think we will end up being just like the     Beltz sisters?

I laughed and told her that I wasn't sure about that.  Those ladies left some pretty big shoes to fill and to follow in their footsteps might be a little tough.  I told her that time will tell.

Today is June 21, 2017 and the day for Sherry's funeral.  After the services are over, we will all head north to Kansas and the little town called Haven.  It will be time to take Sherry's earthly remains back to the place that we will forever call our hometown.  We pray for safe travels for all of us, both in the going and the coming back home tomorrow evening.  It will be good to have this part of the sorrow taken care of.  The days ahead will be ones of healing and moving on with life.  It's definitely what she would have wanted everyone to do.

God bless each of you for helping us through this time of grief.  Thank you for your prayers, hugs, and warm heartfelt thoughts.  We will always be grateful and remembering of you all.



We were just two Kansas farm kids, sisters who grew up to be teachers.  In the years to come, long after both of us are gone, someone may say, "Hey, they were just like the Beltz sisters, you know?"  What an honor that would truly be!

2 comments:

  1. Peggy, please accept my sincerest condolences to you and the rest of Sherry's family. Many, many years have passed since being at Haven High School with Sherry. She was one year ahead of me yet treated me with the utmost kindness and I remember that fondly. Sorry for your loss. Debby McBride Brown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these kind words! I remember you! She was a wonderful sister and I loved her so much. We are bringing home to Haven in the morning for burial in Laurel Cemetery.

      Delete