Friday, June 22, 2018

~as we remember to be thankful~

We live in the "land of plenty".  As a matter of fact, most days I think that Mike and I live in the land of more than a plenty.  Recent stories and happenings at the southern border of our country make me realize more than ever that I should give thanks for everything I have and even more importantly~

Give thanks for what I have not.

As a teacher for the past hundred years, (ok, ok really only 40), I've tried to teach children in the best way I knew how to be grateful for the things they were given each day.  Mike and I buy snacks for the kids to enjoy at school because there is no way to fill up a child's mind with knowledge when their belly is sitting at "E".  But before those snacks even leave my hand, I expect surely to hear the words please and thank-you.  It's a given.  I've encouraged the kids as they go through the breakfast or lunch line at school, to remember to acknowledge to the kitchen staff led by Miss Bernita, their gratitude for a meal.  By the way, that's all the time and not just when it's their favorite menu.  One of the ways I like to teach the polite act of using good manners, utilized when I don't happen to hear a child say "thanks",  can be taught when a child needs a pencil sharpened, a shoe tied, a new piece of paper to start over on, or any one of the thousands of requests a teacher might hear during a school year begins like this.

"Ok, there you go!  That will be $12.79 or a ........."
And they always reply with gratitude.  They get in the habit and it comes naturally.

Once, and I just love to remember this moment and the expression on a sweet unsuspecting child's face, I helped one of the kids in another class open up something on their lunch tray.  When I had finished, I looked at them and said......

"There you go sir!  It's open now.  That will be $5.00 please."
That poor little kid looked at me with such a shocked expression on his face.  He wasn't sure what I meant or what to think.

"But Mrs. Renfro I don't have $5." he said back to me.
One of my own students who happened to be sitting near by gave him a gentle nudge, and with the cutest little grin, whispered something in his ear.

"Oh....  thank you!", he said back to me with a smile on his face.
Sometimes, well probably better stated many times, all of us take things for granted.  I stand as the line leader in this matter more often than I ever would like to admit.  This upcoming school year, my plan is to lead my children in many discussions of what we should be grateful for during the school day.  A guy doesn't really think of it all that often, but it does come to mind when all of a sudden it's no longer there.  A good drink at the water fountain, restrooms that work every time you need them, library books that can be checked out and taken home, a school building that is kept neat and clean like ours at Grandfield is because of Miss Mary, a principal like our own Mr. Longoria who is a fine role model and exemplary leader, bus drivers who get us safely back and forth each day like Miss Lucy, lights that come on at the flip of a switch, teachers and support staff who genuinely care about kids, and a gazillion other things are those which I intend to talk about with my students.  Fodder for the acquiring of life lessons, my favorite of all to share with children, is rich and ready for the teaching on one of the most important subjects of them all.

~giving thanks~



From 2011~summer school back home in Kansas and spending time doing the job that I love so very much.  I'm thankful to be a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment