Monday, October 24, 2011

Because she gave me life~

Every year for about 20 years or so, I would send my mom a bouquet of flowers on October 26th.  Always a card attached would read:  "Thank you mom for not stopping with child #5!" and she always knew exactly what I meant.  


Wednesday is my birthday, my 56th one to be exact.  On that day, in the year 1955 at 10:32 a.m., little Peggy Ann Scott made her appearance in this world.   I was the 6th child born to my wonderful parents, John and Lois Scott.  Two years later, our little sister Cindy was born~making us a family with 7 children.  And the rest is, as they say, "history".


My mom often told me the story about what happened when I was born and it was always told with a smile on her face.  All 7 of us kids were born in Newton, KS at Bethel Deaconess Hospital, which is now no longer in existence.  Sister Mary Anna, a Catholic nun and the RN for the "baby doctors" of the day, was present with my mom at all of our births. Mom always spoke so kindly of her and told stories of how she helped my mom through the labor leading to our arrivals in this world.


My mom's doctor, Dr. Schmidt, had delivered all 5 kids before me and I was to be no exception.   When my parents arrived in the early morning hours of what would be my "birth" day,  Dr. Schmidt was nowhere to be found.  After some time had passed, my parents were told that he would be in late that morning because, and oh I loved this part, he had been out at the supper club the night before and evidently had just a little more than he should have to drink.  


Mom got a little panicky and really started to be afraid that I would arrive before HE did and she relayed that fear to Sister Mary Anna.  I'll never forget what Mom told me she said.  "Lois, we've been through this together five times before.  You and I really don't even NEED him!"  That eased Mom's anxiety....Sister Mary Anna was that kind of person, always calm, cool, collected.  


I was only 5 minutes away from arriving when they heard Dr. Schmidt's footsteps coming down the hallway.  He was cheerfully whistling a tune, acting totally oblivious to the fact that I was coming and RIGHT NOW!  After Mom and Sister Mary Anna gave him a piece of their collective minds, he just smiled and helped to deliver me, a little 5 1/2 pound baby girl.  I got my very first spanking of life and here I am nearly 6 decades later. 


The memories of my birth are very precious to me at this point in time.  Mom and Dad are both gone now and I guess that officially makes my siblings and I "orphans".  I think so often of how it was that I came from a big family and how very difficult it must have been for them to take care of us all in the manner that they did. 


 It was only when we were grown ups with kids of our own that Mom divulged the truth about our economic situation.  And that simple truth was that we didn't have much money~in fact by today's standards we might have been considered "poor".  But the beauty of it all was that we never knew it as kids.  We just figured everyone was like us...oh Mom and Dad you sure had us fooled, seriously we NEVER figured it out!  :)  


Daddy was a farmer and he drove a milk truck as a second job.  Times were tight, very lean and when they brought me home, I was "mouth #6" to feed.  But feed all of us, they did.  I was always amazed at the way Mom seemed to manage to stretch the food supply to keep all of us with a tummy full of food.  Not a one of us EVER went hungry!


Because we lived on a farm, a certain degree of self-sufficiency was already in place.   Mom gardened, Dad raised a cow for the beef and a pig for pork.  Oh and the chickens...we never were allowed to get "too friendly" with them because you never knew which one would be your next meal.  :) And heaven forbid if you EVER named them!   Have you ever eaten fried chicken for breakfast?  We did and really there is nothing any tastier than a freshly butchered chicken fried up in an old cast iron skillet.  You just waited until chore time to figure out which rooster you just ate.  It worked out better and was less "painful" that way.


As I approach this milestone day this week, I'm remembering my parents and the sacrifices they made for me and my brothers and sisters.  As a kid, I never gave it a second thought but as an adult with 3 grown children of my own, I stand in "awe" of how they managed to keep a brood of 7 children going strong.  And if they ever complained about it, they never did around me!


A lot of people ask me about the "Living Legacy" #6 out of 7 decal on the back windshield of my pick up.  And to them I always give the same response.....


Our parents didn't leave a lot of money or land or that many worldly possessions behind when their lives ended here.  They left things way more valuable than all the gold in the world--they left their children and their children's children behind.  It became easier for me to accept the fact that they were both gone when I realized that I was one of their "living legacies"...that their blood flows through my blood and in the blood of my children.  They are with me always, no matter what happens to me.  And you know, I kind of like to look at it in that way.  


Mom, the days of applesauce birthday cake with no raisins or frosting are long gone but I haven't forgotten them or you.  Because you decided to "give me life" I am here today.  Thank you for making sure that Scott kids #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 and #7 would arrive here "safe and sound".  The gift of life means more and more to me each day.  


Dear friends-make sure that you thank your mom for giving you life and do it before it's too late.  I'm glad that I had the opportunity to tell mine  before she passed away--have NO regrets friends and do it right away.  And if you have a mom still, give her an extra hug from me.  








Mom and Dad, won't be forgetting any time "TOO SOON."

No comments:

Post a Comment