Saturday, September 8, 2012

~and the judge's verdict is~

Greetings everyone from Kansas on this fine Saturday evening, September 8th, 2012!  Seems as though I have Facebook friends from all over this great country of ours and I think of you all so often through out the course of each day.  I hope and pray that everything in this life is well for you, no matter where you may be this night.

Things have been kind of on the "noisy" side around this part of the state as today has been the first full day of the Kansas State Fair.  Our town has doubled in population with all of the visitors that have come to be a part of what is called the "Great Kansas Get Together".  Most folks who live around here are used to it, having gone through this many times before.  Everyone just pretty much adapts to things, anticipating the heavy traffic around the fair's location at 23rd and Poplar.  Even though most everyone is surely glad when the 10-day run of the fair is over, we still consider it an honour to play host to the rest of our friends and neighbours from throughout Kansas.  Can't imagine the Kansas State Fair being anywhere else but here in Hutchinson.

Today a great deal of the judging was completed on entries in the Fine Arts division of the fair.  Everything from antiques, quilts, clothing, knitting, painting and photography was judged in the early morning hours.  The 100-year old trophy that I had entered into the special category about fair memorabilia, at least 50 years old, was not a winner.  In fact, there were only 4 entries in that particular group and awards were given for the first 3 places.  When I took a look this morning at the display, it was easy to see why the trophy didn't have much of a chance.  The other three entries were huge displays, most of them having at least 20 items to show.  At first, I have to admit, seeing the trophy and the photos that I put with it "sans" a state fair ribbon of any kind was kind of like back in the "old days" when everyone chose teams at noon recess and this little skinny and awkward girl named Peggy was always chosen last.  But don't worry!  I got over it in about 2 minutes and was STILL glad that I had entered it.  By far, it was the oldest one there, with only one other entry containing memorabilia from the early 1920's.  Hey, at least I tried.  

As I left the fairgrounds and began the 1-mile walk back to my house, I thought a lot about that trophy.  Even though it was not chosen for an award, it still served the purpose that I had intended for it all along.  I wanted to share it with others so they could see something from the original fair.  Lots of people will see it now as they pass through the Oz building and perhaps someone will stop and talk to another about it.  Once the fair is over, I'll bring it back home again and once more it will find its place atop the mantle in my living room.  And unless someone offers me, oh I don't know, say $1,000,000 for it, I'm thinking it will be in my family's hands for another hundred years or so.

I entered that trophy in honour of 5 men who I never got to know~my grandfather, Andrew Brown and his 4 bachelor brothers~Ephraim, Elmer, Luther and William. Their love for raising Morgan horses earned that special award from the very first Kansas State Fair.  It is a privilege to be a direct descendant of the Brown Brothers and I know they would have been proud of the trophy's presence today, 100 years after it was presented to them.  I promised my grandmother that I would always take care of it and when I lay my head on my pillow in sleep soon, I will know that I kept my word and in this life, that has to mean something to me.  

Have a beautiful evening out there friends and family!  May peace be our journey in this life~Love you all.


Great-uncle Elmer Brown with one his Morgan horses~

Great-uncle Luther Brown training one of his horses~

Sitting next to the monument to the Brown Brothers' grandmother, Rebecca Burch at the tiny Quaker cemetery called Fairview just north of Halstead, Kansas.  Great-great Grandmother Burch was the last living pensioner of a Revolutionary War veteran.  It's a privilege, a great privilege, to honour and remember my family's heritage.  I know where I am going in this life because I remember where I have been and whose blood still runs through me.  When I die, this little spot on earth will be my final resting place as well.  




No comments:

Post a Comment