Saturday, January 5, 2013

I am only one, but I AM one~

Good evening dear friends and family and greetings from south central Kansas, a "hot spot" of the Great Plains with our current temperature setting at 38 degrees.  Man, any warmer and we'd be almost (at least in a kinda-sorta way) just "cold" instead of "really cold".  But around here, the vast majority of people from this area have been in these parts forever and they know that all we have to do is just wait a day or two or even three and the weather with its accompanying temperatures will have swung back, one way or the other.  It's "life" here~and as Kansans, we just accept it and manage to make it just fine.  

Many times during the course of writing this blog for nigh onto two years this coming May, I have mentioned the fact that I grew up in a little town just south east of Hutchinson called Haven, Kansas.  Even though I've not lived there since 1985, I still consider it in my heart as my "hometown", the place where I came from.  The town is one that has changed tremendously over the years but by the same token, hasn't changed one bit.  Ever had that kind of experience with something?  I wish I could tell you that I know each one of its over 1,200 citizens today but sadly I have no idea who some....no better rephrase that....most of the people are who live there now.  Oh, I'm acquainted with several old friends who never left Haven and my sister-in-law and nephew live there as well.  But for the most part, the others are strangers to me and in a way, it almost seems sad to think that.

Over Christmas break last week, I was able to establish a Facebook page called, "We Grew Up In Haven, Kansas" as a way for the former/current residents to share memories of their  growing up years there.  What started out as a small group of people that I knew through Facebook who would be interested, very soon turned out to be a group of close to 300 connections.  What fun it has been each night to read their posts and recall the things they spoke of.  For me, it has been a chance to remember things that I had long ago forgotten about and if that doesn't make a person's heart to feel good, then I don't know what would.  I'm so thankful for the folks who have responded to the page and I hope they continue to do so.

You know, for as many times as I've mentioned Haven being my hometown, I've mentioned equally as many times about the moments when I get "whacks upside the head" from God just right before He wants to deliver a little message to me.  It's happened to me more times than I care to admit to you, mostly, well mostly because I always get those "smacks upside the face" when He's been trying to get a message across to me and I'm not listening for one reason or another.  (There's probably some truth in the statement that it happens about 75% of the time.  Hey, I'm a slow learner and that's all I can say about that right now.)  

Well, a couple of days back, that's what happened to me.  I was online reading everyone's comments about how wonderful it had been to grow up in Haven, when the thought just hit me.  Only I'm pretty sure that the "thought" was the voice of God pretty much yelling into my ear with the message.  And the words came through loud and clear~"When are you going to do something for Haven?"  That's it, just 9 little words that stopped me in my tracks and got me to thinking.  And the more I thought, the more I came up with an idea, a plan.  Before I knew it, I was on the site explaining to friends what I'd like to do and already asking for people to consider helping me. From just that one brief moment in time and a couple of emails of encouragement of two friends from there, the idea of "Make a difference in Haven, Kansas on "Join Hands Day" May 4, 2013" was born.  

The whole idea behind the "Join Hands Day" event in early May, is to honour the little town of Haven, a community that gave so very many of us a start in this life.  And you know, to be truthful, I don't see it as a "pay it back" kind of a thing but rather a "pay it forward" moment.  "What will it involve?"  I have no clue.  "Who do you think you'll find to help you?"  I  surely hope there will be someone....wait I gotta rephrase that, I hope a LOT of "some ones" will help.  "How much do I think we can actually accomplish?"  A whole lot more than we probably realize.  Oh yeah and the big question..."Will it REALLY make a difference in the whole scheme of things in life?"  Absolutely it will or I would never consider doing it in the first place.  

Several ideas have already been offered, all of them good ones.  Imagine, if you could, a giant bake sale on the side walk in front of the post office in down town Haven.  And let's see~let's just say that proceeds would all be given to the high school's scholarship fund for students who need assistance as they head off to college.  "So, where are you going to get all those baked goods?"  No problem~I don't know who they are but out there somewhere are some of the best bakers EVER.  Those are the women/men who will easily put a couple of home made pies into bake and just for good measure will add a loaf of bread or two as well.  And someone else will make a couple of batches of cookies or whip up their grandmother's best recipe for banana nut bread.  For all of us (including me) who have been the recipients of scholarship money from Haven High School, I'd say it's the least I can do.  

The beautiful thing is this-a bake sale is just ONE of the good things that could happen.  There's lots more in the works.  Perhaps someone will be able to help an elderly person with some repairs around the house, paint a room, or help to clean up their yard.  There could be someone who would love to have some flowers planted around their house but is unable to do so without some assistance.  For all of the "little old ladies" who watched out for a kid named "Peggy Scott", I think I could do that.   The city of Haven has a "food bank"~by early May the shelves might be kind of empty and perhaps some of us can help with bringing goods to restock them.  For all of the times that I have NEVER been hungry, pretty sure that bringing in a couple of bags of food would be pretty appropriate.  Maybe someone needs help with mowing or weeding or any number of things.  For the many, many times my family was given a "hand" while we lived there...well, my folks would say to me, "Peggy Ann, what are you waiting for?"   All of these and many more are good opportunities to pay it forward to people living there.  It could become a huge undertaking, but in my heart I know that it can happen.  

It's only in the planning stages now but I'm sure that by May 4th, something wonderful will happen.   I know it will~I have faith that it will.  Friends, what else can we all do for others in this life?  I wonder what 15 people could do, if they stuck together, for a cause....let's just say the local homeless shelter.  Could 3 families make anything good happen for the local library or the city park?  If every single person on your block gave 1 hour's worth of volunteer time a month, how many people might it affect?  Just "food for thought", that's all.

Wow, night time is here and geesch, it got kinda dark while I was typing this post.  We're already one week into the new year and I sure hope and pray for all of you that is has gotten off to a good start.  I'm still hard at work on my original 5 "bucket list" goals for the start of 2013 but I am ready to add one more now, "to help make a difference in my hometown of Haven, Ks."  I have no plans of "checking out" of here any time soon.  I hope I'm around for years to come.  But if not, if I were to never see another new year return, then I would be glad knowing that I did what I could for the community that raised me.  Shoot, wish I could just give them a check for $1,000,000 and say "get what you need", but I'm a teacher and that's not going to happen in my life time :)  But actually friends, sometimes I think it's too easy to just hand over a check~it's a better life lesson to learn if you do it by the "sweat of your brow".  The lesson lasts a little longer that way.

Take care and good night all of you!  Thanks for being such great friends~I mean that.


My favourite quote, from Edward Everett Hale:  
"I am only one, but I AM one.  I cannot do everything but I CAN do something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can."

Babysitting with the Price kids!  The BEST babysitting job a kid could hope for growing up in Haven, Kansas.  Kurt and Kerrie and I one spring day in 1976 at my family's home in the country just south of Haven.  Love those two kids and their mom and dad!




No comments:

Post a Comment