Saturday, January 10, 2015

~upon forging a new tradition~

Mike and I went to the Ouray Ice Festival this morning to enjoy the sights and sounds of life at the nearly 8,000 foot level. For a brief moment while we were there, I pretended that I was really at the Kansas State Fair back home in Hutchinson.  The butter sculptor lady who generally fashions a farm animal of some type had now become the ice carving guy who yielded his mighty blow torch to create an ice podium for the winners to be recognized from.  You know I always marveled at how the nice woman at the fair can slap that butter onto the wire frame she uses and always ends up with a pretty realistic looking animal.  I was equally amazed at just how good the ice carving man was as he melted away sections of the ice to come up with the "just right" winner's stand.
The dusty, hot pavement of the streets of the fairgrounds back in Hutch was replaced with snow packed walkways.  People dressed for the weather in bright ski clothes and tights, colorful caps and boots with some mighty fine traction on them.  This was not shorts and flip flop weather but actually it didn't seem all that cold to us as we walked along, quite comfortable with the temperature in the mid 40's during our time there in the morning.  The equivalent of the fair's midway was pretty packed this morning but even with all of the people there, foot traffic moved along quite smoothly.
Walking down those snow covered paths was what actually put me in mind of being back home and attending what it is commonly known as "The Great Kansas Get Together".  All along the way, just like back there, vendors were selling their wares and offering free things if you would just take a moment to stop by.  Only instead of kitchen gadgets and household goods, these folks were hoping you would by their brand of ice climbing and cold weather equipment.  One thing I will say is that the displays were pretty colorful.
There were jackets galore,
Colorful ropes,
And boots for climbing.

Hey, just like at the state fair a person could find some free items as well.  We didn't come across any pens, pencils, coasters, or "grips" to loosen a stubborn lid with but Mike and I did both came away with a new tube of chap stick and some cool stickers.  Oh yes, and one other thing that we came across.

Every single person we encountered had a smile on their face, laughter in their voice, and a childlike spirit about them.

And lest I forget, about 15 minutes into our walk along the path I told Mike that sooner or later we'd best be looking for some kind of bathroom somewhere.  I didn't see any around but I figured with a couple of thousand people visiting the ice park they would have had to do something.  Sure enough they did.  I took a picture of it because, well because I was glad they were there.  Of course there was a little line waiting for them to be available but it was a very civilized group of folks who stood there.  Everyone was kind and patient as they exercised an attitude that said~

"Hey, you go first and then I'll go.  You go first and then I'll go."
What fun it was to watch the competition as climber after climber tried to scale the ice walls.  I admired their fortitude and bravery, each one trying their best to manage to make it to the top.  You had to feel bad for those who gave it their all but couldn't quite get there.  We watched one climber, shown below, who almost made it but then could not find a place to grip and slip back on his rope.  He was disqualified but what an effort he made.
We stayed for most of the morning, enjoying the clear and sunny skies that were above us, both Mike and I in agreement that it was time well spent.  It was not our first visit to the Ice Festival nor will it be our last. Ouray is within 30 miles of us here in Montrose and what a shame it would be to not take advantage of an event such as this.  We preserved this day in our memory in the photos that we took.
It has been two years now that I have not attended the Kansas State Fair back in Reno County, the place where I came from.  I used to go every year without fail.  I have missed that tradition so very much but the truth is, I no longer live there.  My home and my life is in Colorado now and for Mike and I, new traditions are being forged.

Watching some very zealous ice climbers do things that I'd never dream of trying, is just one of them.
I will never pass up an opportunity to perform a random act of nonviolent, civil disobedience.  Signs, signs, everywhere a sign.


No comments:

Post a Comment