Wednesday, March 18, 2015

~Spring~

The day after tomorrow it shall arrive.  Spring, in all of its glory, returns to take the spot that the calendar reserves for it each and every year.  With it come all of the changes the new season brings with it and they are ones that make me smile.  

Life is full of changes and even though it's not always something we like necessarily, it is what it is.  My life has encountered more of them than I can care to recollect.  I'm still living to tell the story.

If I would have seen the road map of the life that the good Lord had already set out before me, I'm not too sure that I would have been all that willing to go along with it.  Yet my destiny and I believe yours as well was lain out long before we were set upon this place called Earth and that the blueprints of that plan were designed by someone far greater than I will ever profess to be.  Things were never meant to stay the same and the sooner a person realizes it, the better off they will be.  It's a fact.

I'm one of the "older" staff members at my school here in southwestern Colorado and as I look back on my teaching resume it is most certainly with the realization of one thing.   I've been a teacher for a longer period of time than many of my co-workers have even been alive.  The changes in this business we refer to as "education" have been many, some of them pretty extreme.  Believe me when I tell you that back in August of 1979 during what was my very first year in teaching, no one and I really mean no one ever gave a thought to the idea that in the future we'd be doing things as we are today.  For example, as I started my first day at school way back then, I kept my students' lunch tickets in my desk.  The first thing of a morning I would go through the cards and ask them if they were eating lunch at school.  Hole punch in hand, I'd mark off the days that they would be eating and it was my responsibility then to send home a reminder notice when they were down to 3 lunches left.  Today in 2015, I simply open up my laptop and enter in attendance and the accompanying lunch count with it.  Someone else does all of the "bookwork" part of it.  A job that once took more than 10 minutes some days to get through now takes a matter of only a few minutes.  In the years that lie ahead I'm pretty sure that someone will come up with a way that makes even today's techniques seem as slow as snails in molasses.

Change.  It's actually pretty good.

If you were going to ask me what the greatest change in my life would have been thus far, it would be without a doubt the move here to southwestern Colorado 2 years ago this past May. Leaving the plains of Kansas and everything in this world that I had ever known that was good for 57 years nearly did me in.  I could never again yank a live plant from the soil without making a connection to it in my own life.  It hurt at first and it didn't just "ouch" a little.  It hurt badly.  As time went on the change in where I called my home began to feel better and I became used to things here along the Western Slope.  With the love and support of my good husband Mike and the brand new family that I was given as a teacher at Olathe Elementary, just up the road aways from here, I made it!  

Change.  Even though getting placed upon God's mighty anvil from time to time for a period of "refinement" isn't really comfortable, it too is what it is.  

In the weeks, months, and years that lie ahead of me yet in the temporary time that I have left in life, it is for certain that I will see many more adjustments and adaptations and the truth is that the same can be said of you.  Resisting change is sometimes at best futile and accepting it is perhaps the wisest thing a person can do.  

One thing for me is certain and the something is this.
We are friends, you and I.
Nothing on this earth will ever change that.

Welcome Spring!







No comments:

Post a Comment