Tuesday, May 12, 2015

~it takes a whole lot of courage~

I've been teaching adults how to speak English on Tuesday nights since January of this year and tonight is our last time to meet with one another.  I've been so proud of them, nearly 20 in all who have joined us in the library at school to learn the language of this new country that they now live in. I tell you one thing about this learning "English".

It surely takes a whole lot of courage.

I hadn't planned to blog this evening but I'm sitting here at my desk thinking of them and knowing that in about half an hour they will be here to join me.  It's our last class tonight and we are having a little "fiesta" with everyone bringing something to share with the others.  I'm remembering how hard they have worked and truly, just how far they have come in only 5 months' time.  You would have to be in their shoes in order to understand the feeling of exhilaration upon completing the first 100 words in English, the words that their children use without hesitation.

Sometimes I have looked at them and tears have come to my eyes and they are not ones of sadness but rather tears of being personally humbled beyond belief.  The things I take for granted each day are many and being able to communicate in my native tongue to anyone I need to is one of them.  I'm only sorry that I didn't start this earlier but at least we had several months together.  The proverbial "seed" is now planted and I hope that next year it will take off and grow into something even bigger.

After tonight I will not ever see them again, at least more than likely.  Mike and I are moving away in just 13 days more and Wichita Falls is a long ways from here.  Yet I will keep them each tucked away in my heart and be ever thankful for this unique teaching experience.  I became a better teacher and better human being by knowing them.  They truly taught me a lot more than I could teach them some evenings.

I may have been a teacher for 37 years now but one thing is sure.

I still have a lot to learn about life.




No comments:

Post a Comment