Sunday, June 21, 2015

~and finally it is summer~

And finally, it is summer.

When we left the San Juan Mountains on May 25th to head southeast to Texas, we were worried that the pass at Monarch Mountain would be difficult to traverse.  Late season snowfalls had covered all of the mountains in our part of the state and we knew that old Monarch had seen its fair share of snow as well.  The rains that fell down as we loaded the last half of our belongings that Saturday morning felt so cold upon our backs.  30 days ago in the Rockies it didn't even feel like it was spring.

When we arrived here in Texas, the great 5-year drought was considered broken and the flood waters that the record breaking rains brought with it were just at the point of calming down a bit.  Except for jack-o'-lanterns, kids yelling "trick or treat!",  and brightly colored leaves upon trees, I believe we have seen all of the seasons of the year in these past four weeks.  The high temperatures with humidity that goes right along with it have taken some getting used to but we have made it.  It has been two years since I lived in a muggy climate such as this one but it has been a whole lot longer for Mike.  Even Sally the dog and Crosby the cat are feeling the effects from time to time.  When it gets too bad, they just find a cool spot on the floor as they lie with their bellies up hoping to catch a breeze from the AC or the ceiling fans.  If Mike and I could get up as easily from the floor as our animals do, we just might do the same.  One thing is for sure.

We are spoiled.

Come a week from tomorrow our good friends from Colorado will be pulling into the driveway here in Burkburnett and behind them will be a 12-foot trailer filled with the last of our belongings from Montrose.  They will officially be our first overnight guests.  How wonderful it will be to see their smiling faces and to give them a huge hug.  It will be like Christmas once again as we unload all of the things that didn't make the first trip out.  After being without those extra possessions for an entire month, we've almost forgotten some of what we stored away.

We are thankful for good friends like the Morris Family.

Little by little our lives are coming together here in this new place that seems more and more as if we are "home" every single day.  We are not 100 percent positive of what lies ahead of us in the future but that can be said of anyone, not just people like us who have packed up and moved 800 miles out into the great "unknown".  We may never have life all figured out but if you do, please tell me the secret.  I've been trying to solve that mystery for a long, long time.

Not only does the calendar on the wall announce the arrival of summer it also says that this is  Father's Day.  In this region called "Texhoma" I am often reminded of my own father who was a custom harvester in Burkburnett during the fall season of corn and milo.  I feel his presence from time to time, especially when I drive past farm fields out in the country or by the elevator on the other side of town.  It's been 33 years since he has been here on this earth, over 3 decades have passed since I purchased a card to honor his special day of the year.  Time went on, whether he was here with us or not but one thing remains sure and certain in my life.

For my father, I will always remain grateful.

This is Sunday, the 21st day of June in the year 2015, a great day to celebrate summer and fathers.  It's a great day to be alive in!

The finest man I will ever know here on earth is my dad.  I miss him this morning and the quiet manner he had about him.  When I see this photo, I always smile in my heart.  God blessed me.





 


No comments:

Post a Comment