Monday, June 29, 2015

~they called me "teacher"~

Life continues here on the plains of Texas and it feels pretty good each day to find ourselves feeling more to home here.  I have kind of/sort of gotten used to the fact that I'm going to be hearing a whole lot of "y'all" around these parts although I have yet to find myself saying it.  People are good, kind, and decent folks who generally speaking will do most anything for one another.  

A couple of weeks back when we had gone to another small town in the area for a car show, Mike and I came across a gentleman who was standing along their main street.  We ended up talking to him for a bit and as we introduced ourselves to him, he did the most remarkable thing.  He shook hands with Mike and then turned to shake mine as well but before he did, that kind man removed his hat.  In all my years I don't think I've ever witnessed that type of respect shown to me.  Actually it was kind of nice.

We have wondered all along what would happen to us here.  Of course a major concern we had was where we could find jobs and how we would get to know the people here and make their acquaintance.  Things are being taken care of along those lines being crafted by the hands of someone way smarter than I will ever profess to be.  Little by little, each piece of our life's puzzle is being slid into place as we begin to learn just why we are here.  It's so amazingly incredible to believe that as each day passes by lots of things are happening which will sooner or later have a great effect upon our being here.  

You know I never really imagined that Texas would be the place where I would celebrate my 60th birthday later on this year.  Truly never in my wildest of dreams did I think that I'd even be living here at some point in time.  Yet this part of the world is where we felt led to come and so we did just that.  We have no regrets for having done so.  

Texas will provide the backdrop for my "swan song" as a teacher.  It is here where I will finish my days in education.  I'm hoping for 3 more years in order to make it to 40 years of service in all but if I'm willing, healthy and able I will be glad to add a couple of more years to my time in the classroom.  When that day should finally arrive that I desire to make retirement from teaching a part of my life, then I would pray to never worry that I did the right thing.

None of us know where life will take us.
For us, the destination was shown on the 26th day of May this year.
From the land of lone stars, sweet tea, the former drought, and a whole lot of "y'alls", we are alive and well.

I was positive on that day in May of 2010 that my time in education was through.  It didn't take long to see how very wrong that I had been.  Thankfully I saw that there was still some "teacher" left within me.  I loved these boys and girls so very much.  They called me "teacher".





No comments:

Post a Comment