Sunday, December 27, 2015

~and on the 361st day of the year~

From cold and wet Burkburnett, Texas~
Good morning dear friends and family!

The cold rain keeps right on coming down.  The temperature here is 34 and a quick look on the weather app of my phone indicates that it's now a mixture of rain and snow.  Yesterday morning about this time, the temperature was pushing upwards towards 70.  You would have thought it was summertime or something.  What a difference 24 hours can make.

Over in Altus, just an hour's drive or so away from us into Oklahoma, they are dealing with snow and sleet.  Freezing rain had been falling just yesterday evening and we hope the power is still on for those good folks.  Out west in Amarillo, it's blizzards and more blizzards all day long.  This morning when I awoke about 3:30, I was noticing the reports of tornadoes and flooding only a couple of hours drive away from us in this huge state.  Oh yes, add in an earthquake in the panhandle.  Of one thing we can be certain.

Life and the accompanying weather that goes with it in this great state of Texas will never be boring.

Yesterday Mike and I decided that we needed to find a snow shovel so we  went to one of the local stores in Wichita Falls and picked up one.  We hadn't made it to the counter before 3 different groups of people stopped us and asked why on earth we were buying it.  Both of us had to laugh to ourselves as we went to the counter to pay for it.  I'm a Kansan and Mike is a Coloradan.  We kind of like being prepared for the elements, should they arrive.  Whether or not we truly will need it remains to be seen.  If we do need it come tomorrow, then both of us will still be happy that we purchased it.  If we don't need it, that will work out fine as well.

I would be the first to admit that it looked rather out of place on our side of the block.  But hey, you never know when one will come in handy.

The weather is promising to be bad until tomorrow so there won't be much need to be heading out the front door at our house today.  It's a good day to stay inside!  "Santa" brought me several nice coloring books  (those stress relieving kinds) and I've already started to try and do a few of them.  One of them makes me think of my mom because of all the birds and flowers that are in it.  The pictures put me in mind so much of all the embroidery work that she used to do.  She loved to buy iron on transfers and would use pillow slip material or even dish towels to work with them.  Flowers and birds were her favorites.  I can still see her sitting there at home, embroidery hoop in one hand and a threaded needle in the other.  She received so much joy from creating beautiful pieces and then giving them away as gifts during birthdays or the Christmas season.  I'm so glad that I have several of them to remember her by.

Hey, I woke up this morning and couldn't go back to sleep.  So instead of remaining in bed, tossing and turning, I decided to get up and color.  It really is a stress reliever and actually kind of fun.  The nine-year old girl that still lives within me told me to tell you all that.

Half of our Christmas vacation is now over and soon it will be time to return to the classroom and be with "the 120".  I have missed them and look forward to seeing their smiling faces and hearing of what happened to them over the break.  In the days that remain, Mike and I have plenty to do as we prepare the rest of our things for moving and settling in at our new house.  Time will continue to fly by us.

Wherever you may find yourself on this 361st day of the year, I hope that you are well and safe from any bad weather.  Take care of yourselves, all of you.  You are my friends and without you, where would I be?

In a big world of hurt, that's where.

I kind of like having all of you around.  Be safe.  Be well.  Surely, be at peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment