Thursday, December 17, 2015

~and with a library card you can do anything~

I've often admired this sign near the railroad tracks that run through the town we now live in on the plains of northern Texas.  There's just something about it that catches my eye every time I go by it.  Perhaps it is because the name of my home state of Kansas is emblazoned on it.  Maybe it's because I love the sound of a train as it comes racing through each day.  Whatever it is, I like this sign.  Oh yes, one another thing.

I like Burkburnett.

The "lion's share" of my life so far was spent in the same county in south central Kansas.  Reno County, in particular the city of Hutchinson, was the place I considered myself at home.  My hometown of Haven was only a few miles down the road towards Wichita.  The city of my birth, Newton, was only 30 miles to the east in Harvey County, Kansas.  For 57 years, I pretty much just stayed put and that was ok with me.

In May of 2013, Mike and I got married on the last day of school back in Hutch and 2 days later we were on the road toward a new life in the southwestern Colorado city of Montrose.  In May of 2015, we decided it was time for a change so we packed up everything that we could and came here.  This community was never even on our list of "top 10 places to live in before we die".  As a matter of fact, I'd never even been here but I knew that my father had cut crops near Burkburnett for many years with his custom combining business.  He hauled the harvested grain to the elevator here in town.

When our original plans fell through to make our home in Wichita Falls, we had to decide very quickly which way to go.  It was literally a moment of choosing whether to head towards Henrietta or Burkburnett.  At first, Mike started out towards Henrietta but we hadn't even made it a mile down the road before I told him to turn around and go to Burkburnett first.

The rest is history.

After nigh onto 8 months of being here, I can say that finally I can figure out where on earth most things are around here.  There are several churches, a great grocery store, lots of shops to visit, a beautiful water park, and the best hardware store ever!   I made acquaintance with the public library from the get go because my good friend Dennis says you can do ANYTHING if you have a library card.  So I got one and he was right.  I could do anything.




8 months later, here we are.
Alive and well~
Thriving and surviving in "the land of where you can see forever and ever" AMEN!

Happy Thursday evening everyone out there.  Take care and be at peace with life.  Thinking of you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment