Wednesday, January 20, 2016

~from a place not so far away after all~

Good morning dear friends and family from a place that is really not so far away after all.  Though there may be many miles between us all, rest assured that I carry you with me each day.  There is a spot for each of you deep within my heart.  Sometimes it gets a little crowded in there but that is the wonderful thing about the human heart.  It's expandable with always room for one more.  

We are trying to settle in at our new home here in Burkburnett.  After 5 days of being here, there are still boxes upon boxes strewn about the place.  I have a feeling it will take a couple of months before everything is unpacked and placed in its new position.  That's ok though.  Mike and I will make it through those things yet to come by following the same motto that we determined before we left Colorado for the great unknown of Texas.

We will just hold hands and stick together.
So far, it's worked out pretty good.

This house was created in 1955, just like me.  We are both celebrating 60 full years of living.  I see some irony in that all, but then what else is new for me?  My middle name at times has been "ironic" and I've grown used to it over the years.  Our new home reminds me of the very first home I recollect living in as a child and it too was built in 1955.  My father built our ever growing family's first home back in 1955 in the Sandhills of Harvey County, Kansas.  Baby number 6 (that's me) was on the way and the home we had been living in was growing much too small.  My parents wanted to own a place of their own, one that would belong to them.  So for the grand sum of $10,000, my father set to work building it.  We moved there when I was just a toddler and our family would live there for the next 9 years before we moved to our new home in Haven, Kansas.

This new house reminds me a lot of that one.  They share the same design concept of a long formal living room and the cabinetry in the kitchen is nearly identical.  Even though I was so young when I lived in the Sandhills place, I still have memories of it.  When I walked in for the first time after we signed the papers last week, it all came rushing back to me.  It was a nice feeling. 

It was peaceful.

We have met new neighbors and all of them are quite friendly.  They have welcomed us into this neighborhood, making us feel so much more to home.  The move puts my drive to school each day about 4 miles further but it will work out fine.  I'll just leave the house about 10 minutes earlier each morning with little trouble in getting there on time.  

It took faith and a whole of it by the way, in order to make the move to the state of Texas in the first place.  We had no idea of what would be ahead of us along the way.  Would we find jobs?  Would we even like it here?  Would things work out?  The answer to all of the questions is a resounding "YES".  

God in his mercy has taken good care of us all the while.  I knew he wouldn't just bring us out here into the wilderness, dump us off, and say "good luck".  We have listened and followed.  

Here we are now.
Neither of us have regrets.
May your life be lived "regret free" as well dear friends, for we love you guys!  One and all.


Even the little 55-year old Easter egg made the move.  Still intact and still slightly colored.

I love this old sign on the depot here in town.  3 great states are all aligned up together.
The old mud room back in Montrose was always my favorite one of all.  I hope to decorate a room here in our new house in a similar fashion.  It was so peaceful and quiet there.  Many a blog post was written in the early morning hours at that little table.

No comments:

Post a Comment