Thursday, March 10, 2016

~Maine changed that~

It was a long journey home yesterday, one that crossed over 2, 800 air miles, more than a couple of mountain ranges, and 4 different time zones before it was all finished.  Mike was there at the airport in Oklahoma City to meet me and when we pulled into Burkburnett at 11:45, it was a good feeling.

How nice it is to find yourself back home again.

I'm happy for a few more days of spring break left before returning to school on Monday of the week upcoming.  There's work aplenty to do here at home, beginning with planting the flowers and veggies that I just now picked up down at the hardware store that Mike manages.  I'm exhausted from the journey but not so tired that I can't go outside and dig in the dirt here.  There's always energy for that kind of thing.

I got to thinking as I flew home yesterday, because when you are in an airplane all day long you have plenty of time for that, and I realized just how much my world has grown since 2012.  In late May that year, after school had been dismissed for the summer, I made the trip to Maine to see my very first lighthouse ever.  It had been on my own personal bucket list for many years and even though I knew I'd be making the over 2,000 mile one way trip on my own, it really didn't matter.  I was going to do it and I did.  Prior to 2012, I hadn't done much traveling at all.  As a matter of fact, I thought that seeing all of the Great Plains states and a couple of others was enough for me.  I didn't care about leaving home for places that I couldn't get back to in a couple of days or less.

Maine changed that.

I took out in the early morning hours on a Monday from south central Kansas and promptly got lost in Wichita, no more than half an hour into the drive.  I figured things out though and soon found myself headed to see the Portland Headlight in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.  When I finally arrived there, it was a dream come true for me.  It was beautiful and I will always remember how that particular visit was a treat to each of my senses.  The smell of the sea, the sounds of seagulls and the mournful fog horn, the sight of the beautiful blue water, the taste of salt in the air, and the feeling of gratitude in my heart for finally making it are things I will always remember.  I never regretted one bit having gone but I know that I would have regretted it had I not.

I'll always remember this photo.  Since I was traveling alone, I had to find someone who was willing to take my picture to show that I really had been there.  The first people I encountered were a nice couple who happened to be visiting from France and spoke absolutely no English.  Somehow we managed to communicate with one another and they were happy to take my picture.  I looked even shorter than I already am as I stood against the residence of the lighthouse keeper.

During my trip to Whidbey Island, I was fortunate enough to see two more lighthouses and stopped to take a picture of each of them.  Mike and I both enjoy lighthouses and perhaps someday when we are retired and even older than we are now, we'll volunteer to be keepers of the lighthouse somewhere in the U.S.  Sounds like a fun job to both of us.

This is the lighthouse at Mukilteo, just outside the ferry boat stop before leaving for Whidbey Island. It was built in 1906 and is still operational today in 2016.
This is the Admiralty Lighthouse near Coupeville, (Whidbey Island) Washington.  It was lit for the first time in 1903 and was deactivated 19 years later in 1922.

Today it is back to life here upon the plains of Texas.  There are suitcases to be unpacked, laundry to be done. and a list of other things too numerous to mention.  I'm so grateful for the chance to have seen my son, daughter-in-law, and sweet little granddaughter once again.  This morning as I sit here typing this blogpost, I realize that I'm missing them already.  I will return someday to see them all once again.

I may not be a world traveler yet but I am beginning to be a traveler of this great country that we love.  I may have waited until later in life to begin the journey but at least I have begun.

One thing is for certain.
Maine changed all of that.




No comments:

Post a Comment