Tuesday, March 22, 2016

~one simple act of kindness~

Sometimes we all need some help in this life and often times it comes in the form of little things.

I was really tired over the weekend and feeling a bit on the stressed side by Sunday afternoon.  I just wanted to sit in my recliner and rest a bit.  The chilly weather that the first day of spring had brought was beginning to creep down my shoulders and back.  I started to reach for the blanket that was behind me and for whatever reason, it wasn't easy to reach.  Mike heard me laughing at the hopelessness of the situation, and got up from his own recliner to give assistance.  He didn't just stop with the lightweight throw I had been reaching for.  He also added the longer and heavier blanket behind it.  Before Mike was done, he had me completely tucked in from head to toe and I thanked him for his help and fell asleep faster than I normally do.

I was safe and sound.  
I felt warm and secure.

That simple act of kindness put me in mind of a time in life when I was a CNA at a local long term care facility back home in South Hutchinson, Kansas.  From 2004 until 2011, I spent my weekends and summer breaks from school taking care of the elderly folks who resided at not only the Mennonite Manor but the Wheaton House as well.  It was a wonderful job and most fulfilling to me.  As a single woman whose primary source of income was that of a teacher's salary, it was a job born of economic necessity.  But just like teaching, taking care of the elderly provided me with much more than a paycheck.  It provided me with the chance to learn more about life, especially life at the other end of the age spectrum.  And oh yes, it provided me with one other special gift.

It was the gift of their undying, heartfelt, and sincere love.

One of my favorite things about taking care of the folks there was to help them to be comfortable and settled in.  If it was a time of rest for them on a chilly day, I wanted to be sure they were snug and warm just like I was on Sunday afternoon.  Often times, I'd throw their blankets into the dryer to take the chill off of them up a bit before I tucked them in bed.  Funny how a small, 5 minute act of kindness can make a person's day, but it did.  When Mike tucked me in with the covers all snug around me, I realized for the first time just what my actions felt like those many years ago.

I know now why they smiled when I did it.  They did it because it felt nice and comfortable.

Those dear people knew what the phrase "safe and sound" meant and I'll always be thankful that I the chance to be there for them.  I'm still 25 years or so away, leastwise I hope, before my lot in this life will take me there.  But if I do find myself on the receiving end once again, I hope for one thing.

I hope that the person caring for me will love me as much as I have loved them back.  At life's end we need very little.  The most important thing we need is someone to care.


My dear friend Esther, was the first person I thought of Sunday afternoon as Mike saw to it that I was comfortable and warm in my chair.  I always loved to take care of her and keep her safe.  She was a fine Christian woman who now lives in her Heavenly home.  I can still hear her voice saying "thank you Peggy" each time that I did something for her.  Esther was grateful for all things.  

For the least of things~

No comments:

Post a Comment