Tuesday, March 8, 2016

~soon will come the time~

There is something about digging in the fresh dirt, often times barehanded, that appeals to my sense of goodness and all that it is right in the world.  I've always felt that way and as the calendar inches its way towards the end of the week, that's just what I plan to be doing.

Burkburnett, Texas has some very fine soil, red in color and rich in content.  Mike tilled up an area in front of our new home, one that had previously been filled with bushes that had long since been overgrown.  When we moved there, their removal was at the top of our list of things to accomplish in the first month.
January 2016, two weeks prior to moving in day~
Just a couple of weekends ago as Mike prepared the ground for planting~

Soon after the bushes were removed and the ground was worked up sufficiently, we began the process of putting in plants.  For now only chrysanthemums and hollyhocks have been transplanted, but soon we will be putting in many more varieties as we figure out some type of design for the front of the house.

Both of us felt our age as we worked outside in the yard.  I'm a couple of years older than Mike so he faired better than I did.  Our knees were sore, our backs hurt, and both of us got slightly winded but we made it.  My mom always said that as long as she kept gardening that she felt a whole lot better.  I remember the year that she gave it up and it wasn't long after that when her health began to suffer.  I don't want that to happen to me and so no matter what, no matter how sore I feel, I intend to keep going. I'm thankful that Mike feels the same way.

I've found some unique seeds here in the Puget Sound area and have packed them along in my suitcase for the return trip home tomorrow.  There is an interesting little shop in Langley, just up the road aways from where we are now on the island, that sells seeds with a chocolate scent to them.  I picked up a chocolate dahlia to take home to Mike.  It should be very interesting to watch it grow and certainly is something I've never seen back in Texas.

It will soon be time to pack up our things and head to the airport.  One last day remains before we need to leave for home once again.  This beautiful island is full of growth and the lush rains that have fallen this winter have nourished the earth here once again.  Springtime is slowly coming out and within a few weeks, everything will show its colors once again.

I brought little Catherine a couple of packages of sunflower seeds (for my home state of Kansas) and a package of bluebonnet seeds (for our new home in Texas) to plant in her yard somewhere.  I think that perhaps she will love to dig in the dirt too.

From so very far away, a little more than 2,300 miles as the crow flies, I am alive and well.  God blessed the journey and we do pray for safe passage back home tomorrow.  It will be good to touch down in Oklahoma City tomorrow, safe and sound.
3 years ago about this time~I was determined to make sunflower seeds grow in the clay filled soil of our home in Montrose, Colorado.  I must have planted a thousand seeds but only 12 grew.  At least THEY made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment