Wednesday, May 4, 2016

the new day begins

And the new day begins~

It's quiet here at 4:30 in the morning.  Even Sally the dog is still nestled into her cozy spot in Mike's office.  She has no desire to be let out for her normal pre-dawn's early light bathroom break.  Crosby the cat has hardly moved a muscle as well, evidently having spent most of the night on the prowl for random geckos inside the house.  So it's just me, a cup of coffee, and plenty of peace and quiet to start this good day.

I get asked a lot by kids at school what time it is that I get up each day.  When I tell them that it's always at 4 a.m., their eyes and mouths get wide.  They always ask me the same question.

"What do you do at 4 a.m. Mrs. Renfro?"
My answer is always the same.

"I get ready for the day."
Yesterday a sweet little fourth grade girl had the most innocent of responses, one that brought a big smile to my face.

"Can't you do that at 6 a.m.?"
Perhaps some day I shall.

Each day I make the journey along the back roads and s-curves between here and school.  I've learned to look at it in terms of segments of travel. not the 30 miles that it really is.  There's the leg from here to Cashion, followed up by the stint from Cashion to Thornberry.  Once there, it's the drive to Charlie, past the fruit stands, and finally the last 8 miles to Petrolia.  It works out to be about a half hour drive or so, give or take a minute or two along the way.  In the beginning, I was afraid of getting lost but thankfully that never happened.  You just follow the road and it takes you where you need to be.

Kind of like the road to life.

The school year is close to over now and the day after school lets out, I'll be thankful to not have to drive the long distance that morning.  I might even turn the alarm off, roll over and sleep an hour or so more.  Hey, wait a minute.  Come to think of it, I won't even have to turn an alarm on to begin with.  

Chances are good, I'll be up anyways.

Have a great day dear friends and family out there.  
5:02 a.m.
Let the day begin! 

~a time when life got a little complicated~ 
August 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment