Wednesday, August 10, 2016

~and there is no place that I would rather be~

School begins tomorrow and I can't think of any other place that I'd rather be than just up the road a bit to the north and over the Red River.

I never thought that I'd be able to teach for this many years and oh what a blessing I will forever consider this to be.  39 years is a quite a stretch in the field of education and God willing, I can attain a few more beyond this one.  My health is pretty good for a nearly 61-year old and I pray that it stays that way for many, many years to come.  My spirit is as high as it can be at this point in time.  I'm so anxious to get things going and before long, I won't have to wait any longer.  

Last night at school I met many of my students and their good families.  Those little 3rd graders don't know how good their nice hugs felt to this teacher.  Their parents are fine people who want just what any other parent would want for their kids.  They want a good life for them now and in the years to come as well.  I appreciate so deeply their trust in me as their child's teacher and I will strive hard to keep that trust and do the things that are best for all of us.

The teacher that I used to be back in 1979 on that first day of school looks so different than the one I see in the mirror today.  My face has its share of wrinkles, there are gray hairs upon my head, and poor "old lefty" is getting a little bit worn out in appearance.  But the one thing that isn't visible from the outside is my heart and thankfully it is still young and very much filled with love for children and teaching.  

I don't know how many more years I will have in the classroom.  I still strive to get to my 40 years in education.  If I have the drive to do this and remain an effective teacher, I may try to stay a couple of years more yet after year #40.  One thing I have learned since retiring the first time back in 2010 is this.  You should never take any teaching assignment for granted, no matter how long you have been doing it.  Things change.  Life happens.

So this is my philosophy for the 2016-2017 school year.  I'm going to teach every day as if it was the last year that I would ever be a teacher.  I'm going to make each day count for something very good for my children and for myself as well.  I'm going to remember even more than I already do what a privilege, honor, and real blessing it is to be called someone's "teacher".   Even though I've already been afforded 38 wonderful years in the classroom, this 39th year will be the very best one that I ever had!  You just wait and see.

School begins tomorrow and I can't think of any other place that I'd rather be than just up the road a bit to the north and over the Red River.

I always take Kansas with me wherever it is in this great big world of ours.  Greetings from the Red River area of Burkburnett, Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment