Saturday, September 24, 2016

~and now somehow it seems a little bit closer~

Mike and I just arrived home a bit ago from having lunch.  As we pulled into the driveway, I noticed a white package sitting on the flower box by the front door.  Since neither of us were expecting anything, we couldn't imagine what it might be.  It didn't take long to figure it out as I looked at the address label and saw the name of my dear friend Sylvia from back home in south central Kansas.  I knew what was inside.

 Sylvia and I grew up back in the same little town of Haven, Kansas where both of our fathers were good friends with one another.  They enjoyed drinking a cup of coffee together and trading stories at the front counter of our restaurant, Scott's Cafe, along the old highway there.  Les Gray was a fine man and his kids reflected that goodness in the way they behaved ever since, well.... ever since I knew them.  Sylvia knew I was looking for KU things for my students at Big Pasture and took it upon herself to go on the hunt for them.  I talked with her earlier this week, and she told me that something would be on the way towards our home here in north central Texas.  

Today it arrived.

When I first interviewed at Big Pasture Elementary this summer, my dear principal Diane showed me around the elementary building.  I could not help but to notice immediately that there were half a dozen or more college banners hanging from either ends of the hallway.  She told me that each of the classrooms adopted a university to promote throughout the course of the school year.  It was done so in the belief that all children, no matter who they are or what their individual circumstances might be, could have the hope of being college bound and ready. I hadn't even been offered the job yet, but I asked her if I were to get the position did it matter which university I chose.  She assured me that it didn't and so I chose KU.

Now, I've never taken one college class through KU.  My undergraduate degree is from a small Presbyterian school in Rice County, Kansas called Sterling College.  My master's degree is from a state university in Sedgwick County, Kansas called Wichita State University.  I have numerous hours from other colleges in Kansas and so choosing to honor KU this year was perhaps not the normal thing to do.  Yet when I sat down and thought about it, I realized that for me KU represents the state of Kansas in my heart more than any other school does. With no disrespect to any other fine Kansas institute of higher learning,  since I still consider myself a Kansan, I felt the most comfortable bringing along  KU with me.  

And so I did.

Now that we are well over 6 weeks into the school year, I have come to one conclusion.  For me, the lesson that I want my children to learn is not all about KU any longer, although it is wonderful to call them "our university" for this school year.  It's definitely not about how many KU things we can amass to promote our school spirit. 

What it is really about is this, and this only.

I want my boys and girls to know beyond the shadow of a doubt, that there are many good people out there.  They are people who are strangers to them, who know of their story and their desire to promote the Jayhawks during their 3rd grade school year.  Those strangers care about kids as much as their teacher does and will do anything they can to provide opportunities to learn and grow.  All of those good folks have given of their time, their treasure, and their talents.  Sylvia is one of many who have helped us along the way and not one single person has allowed us to pay back what they spent to help us.  My heart swells with joy. 

So for the dear and sweet people who have found KU shirts for my little ones as well as those who have helped us be "buddies" on our classroom Facebook page,  we are humbled.  Your acts of kindness are helping to shape the lives and strong character of children who live far away from you all.  It takes a village, truly it does, to raise up children these days.  Your help and support is so much appreciated by "the 19" and their teacher.

It's 435 miles from Randlett, Oklahoma  to Lawrence, Kansas.
Somehow the love of friends and family makes it seem a little closer than that.


With thanks to Rita, Sylvia, Gayle, and Lori for the shirts and KU things~





No comments:

Post a Comment