Sunday, January 22, 2017

~just like the man in the third aisle over~

I was the recipient of a simple act of human kindness this morning, certainly one that has been shown to me before not once, but many times.  For some reason today it meant something different, indeed something more to me this time around.  I have thought about it off and on since it happened.

Mike and I had run to the local supermarket here.  He returned a movie and I was looking for a bag of cough drops.  Normally speaking I come in for more than one item, but luckily this trip I only needed one thing.  It was with great anticipation that I thought I would get in and out in record time.  I grabbed the bag of them quickly from the pharmacy section and headed towards the check out counter, and then it happened.

There were only 3 lines opened up, with two of them being quite busy and occupied.  I made my way over to the farthest one thinking there wasn't much of a crowd waiting.  A gentleman coming from the opposite way was headed there as well, and because he was much closer to it than I was, he made it there first. It only took him a second to turn around and notice that I had one item while he had a small basketful of things.  Then he said to me the most simple of sentences, but one that stuck with me even after I walked out of the store.

"Hey, have you only got one thing?  Please go ahead of me."

At first I couldn't quite imagine what he was saying and then it dawned on me that he had just shown me a wonderful gesture.  Normally speaking, I try to do that for others as well.  Now it was my turn to be on the receiving end.  I could have declined his nice offer, realizing of course that most of the world operates on the "first come, first served" basis.  Instead of saying no to him, I replied with the most simple of words.

"Really?  Hey, thank you."

It didn't take all that long for me to check out and before I knew it the cashier was handing me my change back.  I turned to the man who had let me cut in front of him and wished him a very good day. I told him that I would pay it forward some day on his behalf.  He just smiled and said it was ok.

It was a simple, basic act of human kindness yet it made an impression upon me this morning. Perhaps it is still nice to believe and realize that there are very good people in this world who sincerely care about doing what is right and good.  Even when the times might indicate that it is "every man for himself", one lone man in a checkout line in Burkburnett, Texas was practicing just the opposite.

I took one last look at his face before turning to leave.  The man had a smile that made me believe that he felt good about helping someone.  The crazy thing is that had we not exchanged those polite acts of kindness, I might not have even said a word to him. Most other times, I would have never made eye contact with him.

Yet this time I did.

You know, I'm going to tell this story to the kids at school tomorrow.  It sounds like a good life lesson to teach right before I ask them to line up at the door to go to lunch or to a restroom break.  I want them to know that there all kinds of good folks out there, ones that show they care about humanity. When the news is filled with all types of bad things that people are doing these days, I want all 20 of them to know to always look for people who are doing the good. They are out there.  You just have to find them.

Just like that man in the third aisle over this morning at the supermarket.
This little group of 80+ kids meant the world to me in the year of my official "retirement".  I taught them the same kind of life lessons that I enjoy teaching today.

No comments:

Post a Comment