Sunday, April 2, 2017

~and they were messages of encouragement~

This 39th year of being a teacher has flown by me at break neck speed.  I sit here tonight and type these words with the realization that sooner than later, this year shall come to a close. With only the month of April and precious few days in May left to deal with, it will soon be time to close the door and be ready to go on to the summer days ahead.

I was hoping it would go a little slower, you know?

Beginning this week and on into the 3 weeks that follow, students all over the great state of Oklahoma will take the required state assessments that are prescribed for each grade level.  For my third graders, it will be reading and math.  We've worked so very hard all year long and finished up a nearly 8 week tutorial period where the kids stayed after school each day to work even further than we already had.  I was proud of them, all of them for the effort that they put forth.  So much is expected of them at the ripe old age of 9 years old.  

Last Friday after we had finished up the official practice test that the state of Oklahoma sent out to students to use, we paused for a moment to do what I considered the most important part of all.  It had nothing to do with whether or not the reading and math selection questions were done correctly or if every bubble was bubbled in precisely.  No, it was something way more important than that.

It was to be a lesson in encouragement.

For the first 25 minutes of the morning, all of the kids moved silently and methodically to each student's desk.  While they were there, they left a message for one another in their typical third grade scrawl.  Sweet words that were meant to uplift the spirits of their friends spilled out onto the back page of the practice test booklet.  

"Do your best on the test! (hey, I rhymed!)"
"I believe in you.  You can do it!"
"You will be awesome~you got this!"
And the messages went on and on.

I watched them all with a lump in my throat.  Their intent was quite sincere and for all of the times that perhaps they haven't gotten along with one another this year (and they are kids after all so that would be considered quite normal), for that moment in time they were all on the very same team.  They were giving one another a plethora of high fives, pats on the back, and as many "you can do it"s as they could.  It was touching to be a witness to and as I watched them, I made a memory in my heart.


Tonight as you read this, would you please say a prayer for them all?  Not just for my 21 but all kids anywhere in this country who are undertaking these end of the year exams.  Pray for them to do well, that their work be done with integrity and that they give their very best.  My deepest wish and desire for them all is to just enjoy being kids and not have to grow up any quicker than they already are these days.

Let them be kids.
It makes all the sense in the world to me.

I would have never dreamt to be their teacher this year.  A year ago at this time, I never knew they existed nor did they know about me.   A plan designed by someone far wiser than I will ever profess to be, brought us all together this year.  It was one Kansas school teacher and a room full of 8 and 9-year olds.  

The good Lord knew what He was doing.  

It's a long ways from the mountains of Colorado where this picture was taken 3 years ago.  My life as a teacher has been most blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment