Saturday, April 29, 2017

~in the hope that they would always know~

Our third grade class took a field trip yesterday.  It was my first one ever in nearly 40 years of teaching in which I took a group of students out of state.  We left our school mid morning and traveled south across the Red River and into the great state of Texas.  There we came to the place Mike and I call home now, the city of Burkburnett.

We had a good day planned ahead for us, with our first stop being the public library here in town.  When we moved here in June of 2015, the very first place Mike and I looked up was the library.  Being new in town, we were at a loss as to where everything was located.  I was reminded by my good friend Dennis from back home in Kansas of one very important thing.

"With a library card, you can do ANYTHING Peggy!", Dennis often told me.
And so we each got a library card and you know what?  
Dennis was right.  We could do anything we set our minds to.

The trip to the library was slightly different than we had originally planned.  An overnight plumbing issue had flooded the children's section of the library making it virtually impossible to follow through with our intended plans.  That didn't stop the very kind and accommodating librarian named Pam from inviting us to sit down in the only dry spot the library had to offer in order to read a story to us and talk about the summer reading program for this year.  I was so proud of the kids.  They understood the challenge that she faced and they were very quiet and respectful.  It was just like I knew they would.  It was sweet and endearing to hear their little voices reply back to her when she apologized for the mess.  Two short words, were sincerely said.

"It's ok!", they told her.
And it surely was.

From there, we headed to the new McDonald's in town and enjoyed our lunch together.  The day prior, we had all sat down in the morning to graph our individual orders onto a spread sheet of sorts.  We turned it into a mini-math lesson that would hopefully save us some time once we arrived on Friday towards the noon hour.  I was so grateful for the moms who came to help out and make sure that everyone had what they needed in order to enjoy lunch.  

Two other very special guys showed up to help kid wrangle.  It meant so much to all of the children to see those two there with them as they ate lunch.  One of them is not related by blood to any of the kids but that doesn't matter.  He claims all of them as his own because they call his wife "teacher". 


The other man is a special "poppa" to one of the 3rd grade boys.  Not only did he show up to assist during that part of the day, this man is always doing something for our school and the kids that attend there.   I can't imagine what we would do without his selfless gifts of his time, energy, and talents to our school and its students.

Thank you to both Mike and Ronnie for making the time to be with us yesterday!

We finished out the day with a fun hour of recreation down at the city park and fed the ducks some delicious dried oats.  From there, we went to the store Mike manages here in town.  He enjoyed being able to show the kids around and ask any questions that they might have.  One of the girls whispered to me "Mr. Renfro is a people person!".  I told them that it was correct.  He surely is.  As a teacher's spouse, he has learned how much of an impact that one person can make upon the lives of children.  He found it to be true in Olathe, Colorado and Petrolia, Texas. Randlett, Oklahoma has proven to be no different.  Mike has always made sure that whatever the kids needed, all the way from school supplies to snacks for the times when their little bellies are empty, would be available to them each and every day.  

Our last stop of the day was brief but one that I had promised to the kids.  We came to our house and they ran around in the backyard, ate an ice cream bar, and got drinks out of the garden hose instead of some throwaway plastic bottle.  And oh yes, they got to do one other thing.

They met Sally.

I have shared much of my life with kids over the years and this group of 9-year olds was no different.  I've told them about our dog who came all the way over the big mountain from southwestern Colorado with us when we moved to the plains of Texas two years past.  They know all about Sally and how much enjoyment she has brought to our lives.  Yesterday Sally was the backyard greeter and it didn't take the kids long to make friends, as is shown in the picture below.


I looked at the many pictures that were taken yesterday, from the time we left Big Pasture until the time we got back home.  They were very precious ones that showed the smiling faces of children and adults.  There was so much fun to be had.  Yet when I looked at this picture, I saw something different and it kind of made me sad.  I didn't cry but I sure felt like it.

They look older, more grown up, and almost ready to spread their wings to leave third grade and fly away.

Our days together are now more than quite numbered.  When we meet again on Monday morning, we will have only 13 1/2 days left in all.  I've been asking for time to slow down since at least January but to no avail.  Before we know it, the time shall come to say good-bye and I will miss them.  

A couple of days ago, we had a rough spot for a moment in our classroom.  As usual, we sat down and talked out the problem as soon it arose.  I told them that I knew things could be better and that they would be.  One little boy reminded me once again of something they have heard all the time this year.

"You wouldn't trade us for anything would you Mrs. Renfro?  Not even the best class in the whole wide world!"
And he was right!  I surely would not.

I hope and pray that I have done everything I could do for them.  
If not, it would surely not be for lack of trying.  
They have given to me far more than I could have ever offered them.  
May they always remember and know that they were valued and loved by me.








No comments:

Post a Comment