Tuesday, April 11, 2017

~in the land of Big Pasture~

And just like that, this 39th year of being a teacher is nearly over.

In early August, these dear people who would end up being my teaching cohorts and new found friends, would stand with me one evening and take the picture shown below.  Never in my wildest of dreams could I have realized how fast our time together would pass.  Perhaps they feel the very same way.

When Mike and I moved to Texas in the early summer of 2015, we had never heard of the community of Randlett, Oklahoma.  It was only a few miles up the interstate, across the Red River bridge from our home here in Burkburnett.  It was a little place, really not much bigger than the tiny town of Yoder back home in Kansas.  At the edge of town sat a small school, one that I thought might some day be a nice place to teach at.  Fortunately for me, this 39th year of being a teacher afforded me the chance to be the 3rd grade teacher there.  After nearly a year of learning what it is like to teach in the state of Oklahoma, the time has come for this school year all too soon to end.

It's an interesting, energetic, and very friendly group of folks that teach there with me. Each of them have given me assistance when I needed help this year and to them all, I will be always beholden.  It really takes a special person to teach in the state of Oklahoma, a place that ranks 49th in teacher pay nationwide.  In our particular instance, as is the case in lots of other districts in our state, school funding goes by two different names.

Slim and None.

Because of that, teachers in our school pick up the slack all over the place.  Many different "hats" are worn by all and the thing I learned quickly on is that people understand that.  We are our own custodians and sweep/mop our own rooms, take out our own trash, clean up around the building and that list could go on and on.  People help out wherever they are needed.  There really is no job that belongs to just one person.  We all have a hand in things.

And even though it could sometimes be difficult, one thing is for sure.
We make it work and we do it each and every single day.

I've been blessed with 21, 9 and 10-year olds who call me their teacher every day. Their families are among the most supportive that I have ever encountered.  If I need something, all I have to do is ask for it.  Without fail, this great group of parents has always provided.  To them, I do give thanks.  To realize that each day they entrust unto me, the children in my classroom, fills my heart with love. They have my back in all matters as we stick together and do everything we can on behalf of the most important people at school.

The children.

I've appreciated the chance to teach for Big Pasture this year.  In this "teacher's book of life", their names shall be forever written.  They mean the world to me.  I'll always be glad to have given a year of service to this community. Some of the most precious people in the world live right across the river in Oklahoma.

In a place they call the "Big Pasture".


I'm glad that I brought my sweet home with me to school this year.
This Jayhawker girl will always love Kansas!



2 comments:

  1. We are very blessed to have you! Seth has learned so much and not just academics. You put such heart into your teaching. Thank you for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome! It's been a great year. I've been thankful to come and be their teacher. You are raising a great kid!

    ReplyDelete