Friday, August 26, 2011

all things considered

I write this post with a grateful heart and truly, truly counting my blessings right now.  I have just returned from my first post-op visit to Dr. Chan's office.  After 2 very long weeks, I finally got a look at my "naked left arm".  


I've been concerned for the past few days about what today's dr. visit might reveal.  Dr. Chan was the first to tell me before surgery that the injuries my arm, hand and wrist had suffered were pretty traumatic.  The good doctor didn't "sugar coat" anything, rather he laid it all out on the table when he said,  "Peggy, your arm looks like a bomb exploded inside of it.  I'm not sure if I can save it."  So you see friends, I've been expecting the worst possible outcome.  And the Bible verse that comes to mind, "Oh ye, of little faith..."  (Matthew 8:26)


So this afternoon, the first "order of business was to remove the old cast and the multitude of stitches that accompanied the August 10th surgery.  I watched them being removed and not because I thought it would be a "cool" thing to see.  I watched because it was a part of the healing process for me.  I lost count after 40 of them were removed and I was told later by the office PA, Mark, that I had just as many on the inside.  




Here's "old lefty" prior to having the stitches out.  I'll be dealing with the swelling for several more weeks.  I was just glad to see it in one (kinda-sorta) piece again.  Friends, I chose to post this photo, NOT to see how many of you I could make go "Yikes that's gross." Rather, it is a statement to me, personally, of the many people who have tried, somewhat successfully to put Peggy Miller's "Humpty Dumpty" arm back together again.  The two shorter runs of stitches were from Dr. Goin's use of the external fixator device on the day of the accident.  He did everything he could to just hold me together long enough to make it to Wichita and Dr. Chan.  The long run of stitches, in the location where most healthy people have a radius bone, well that's where Eleanor (my donor bone) is.  I had some time to reflect on all that as I was getting new x-rays done today.  And it definitely put a huge lump in my throat to even think of all the folks, living or not, who have tried their very best to patch me up!


Well, Dr. Chan brought back the "verdict" after looking at the x-rays.  Friends, it was so good to see the smile on his face when he told me that it looked like everything was going well.  I could have hugged and kissed him right then and there, but he knew from the tears streaming down my face how wonderful the news sounded.


I am on the mend but I am definitely not out of the woods yet.  I did get a new cast, brilliant blue (my favorite color).  Unfortunately, it's a long cast still but at least it's a lightweight one.  Dr. Chan says my arm and wrist are not fully healed and won't be for at least another 2-3 weeks.  So I have to be careful and I'm going to follow the advice of my very dear friend who keeps telling me to "baby" that arm.  


I go back to see Dr. Chan in 2 weeks when more x-rays are taken and I can get into a shorter cast for an additional 2-3 weeks.  In the meantime, I'll be starting physical therapy on my fingers to get them moving and healthy once again.  I have weeks and weeks ahead of me in physical and occupational therapy.  I intend to do whatever it takes to make it "back" to being healthy.  Thanks family and friends for "picking up the slack" in my life right now.  I will always be remembering you   and the "human kindness" each of you have showered upon me and my family.


FROM A BOOK I HAVE AT HOME CALLED "LIVE AND LEARN AND PASS IT ON" 


A 57-YEAR OLD WOMAN COMMENTED..." I HAVE LEARNED THAT IF YOU ASK SOMEONE, 'I WONDER IF YOU COULD PLEASE HELP ME? YOU WILL NEARLY ALWAYS GET A POSITIVE RESPONSE!"  


MY FRIENDS, NEVER BE AFRAID TO ASK ANYONE FOR A HAND IF YOU NEED HELP.  ASKING IS NOT A SIGN OF WEAKNESS...RATHER A SIGN OF INNER STRENGTH.  
GOD'S BLESSINGS TO ALL OF YOU AND HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND OUT THERE!

















No comments:

Post a Comment