Saturday, September 17, 2011

Today is as good a day as any--

I have learned all too well in the past few years what the term "bittersweet" really means.  As we completed the ALS walk in Wichita this morning, I was beginning to feel THAT kind of feeling all over again.  Guess it probably didn't help that the day was cloudy and dreary or that the last time I was at "The Waterfront" was to ride my bike.  There's a lot of time to think as you walk the route--something that I seemed to do a great deal of when I was riding my bike all over creation just a couple of months ago.


It was a good feeling to be walking in remembrance of my brother, Mike.  There were a whole lot of others there walking in memory of their own friends and family members.  Along the 3-mile route, signs were posted with names and sometimes photos of people who have died from ALS and were being remembered today.  It was especially touching to find folks stopping along the way and standing by the sign of their loved one.   This year we had to go only halfway through the route in order to find Mike's sign.  Here we are!


Mike's wife, Paula with his son, Christopher, and I at his sign along the route--


It was a special moment, if even ever so brief, to once again be connected to him in some fashion or another.  Every other family that was walking today undoubtedly had similar feelings in their hearts.  When it was over and everything said and done, all of us went home and back to the lives that each of us lead every single day. 


 We will remember them all but the reality is that those who are left still have to go about the business of "living".  I remember hearing once this quote-- "You do not honor the dead by dying with them." How very true and appropriate this is.  I know Mike would have wanted all of us to go on....and that is what we have done.  And we didn't go on in disrespect to his memory but rather with respect to what he REALLY wished for us all.


Today as I walked the path, I kind of came to "peace" with something that has been a little bit unnerving to me, something that during the last few days, I've thought about NOT doing.  It's been 6 long weeks since I sat on my bike.  It's been safely tucked into the new trainer just patiently waiting for me to get back on.


But to be honest, I've been scared to death to even try hopping up on the seat again, let alone making the pedals go.  At one point last week, I even debated about trying to sell the bike online and take up another hobby.  I was afraid to get hurt again, really afraid. So what IF I didn't make 2,000 miles this year?  It doesn't make me a "lesser" person", I had been trying to convince myself.


 But on the way back home today, I had time to think about all of the names that I read on those signs this morning, each one of them belonging to someone who no  longer would have the opportunity to do the very thing that I was so willing to give up on.  At that precise moment in time, Saturday, September 17th, 2011 became a "Carpe Diem" kind of day!


It took a little doings and the help of my good friend and cycling cohort, Ron Ratzlaff, but the end result is shown below.  Today is the day that I got back on my bike --- and please don't worry about me.  This time if I fall, I promise to just fall straight for the couch.  Besides that, there's not ONE curb in my house.






                                                       6 very long weeks later


It had to happen some time, so why not now?  Looks like today is as good a day as any to start over.  Oh, and by the way...I did 1 mile today (LOL) so that only leaves 599 left to go by January 1, 2012.  Hey, IT can happen!


 Have a great evening family and friends and please don't forget to "seize the day" for yourselves.




I've been practicing for two weeks now to make the best "peace symbol" that I could with "old lefty"-this one's for you my brother!  I'm getting better all the time!



No comments:

Post a Comment