Wednesday, April 25, 2012

upon the advice of a friend

I found something in my documents on the computer the other day that made me stop and smile.  It was one of the original "for sale" ads that I had drawn up in order to try to sell my bike after my August 4, 2011 accident.  It was only one of many that I had thought of.  Seemed like I went back and forth for weeks on end as to whether or not I'd get back up on a bike again in my life.  Heck, the day the accident happened I almost left the stupid thing right there in the driveway in the hopes that the Stutzman Refuse truck would smash it to smithereens for me and put me out of my misery.  Thankfully, I came to my senses and had Grahame drag it onto the porch before we sped away to the emergency room.  


Over the course of the next 8 months I continued to weigh the "pros and cons" of ever attempting to return to cycling, a hobby/sport that I had grown to love.  All I had to do was to look at "old lefty's" misshapen form to remind me that bicycle riding can indeed be dangerous.  With 3 major surgeries and at least 7 casts I had to question my own sanity in even "thinking" that I should/could/would return to riding.  I even tried hiking and walking as an alternative form of exercise and hey, they were ok, but it was not bicycling.  99% of the time I was just about sure that I would never return to riding but friends, I tell you this~That 1%, that small flicker of hope that someday I would get on a bike again, shone pretty strongly.  It kept me going when all other hope seemed to be fading away.  


And then there's my good friend named Patti.  She's my facebook friend, and even though we have never met in life, we feel as if we have known one another forever.  Patti is good at sensing how people really feel and she has this way of imparting advice that always make me stop "dead in my tracks" and pay attention.  In mid-September, she wrote me a message about what she thought I should do with regards to returning to cycling as soon as I was all  healed up.  The message was that a person should NEVER give up something they love just because they were afraid of it.  As I type these words, it has just come to me that probably after reading her message, that "1%" (the tiny flicker of hope for getting back on a bike again) was actually born.  And Patti, if you are reading this, well friend, thank you!  Your inspiration, given so  many months ago now, is what allows me to write this blog post today my friend.


In the last 2 weeks I have put 50 more miles on the odometer of my bike.  The first 10 came over a week ago now.  After one "scary" initial push down of the pedal, I was off and I gotta say, I NEVER LOOKED BACK AGAIN.  Each successive ride has gotten a bit easier and every climb of a hill has been less challenging than the ones before.  Oh, and of course.....the wind still blows and as always, since "Murphy's Law" and "Miller's Uncanny and Bad Luck" are first cousins most days....the wind direction is ALWAYS from what ever way I am riding into.  Yet as I have said before, I dang sure would rather ride 20 miles straight into a Kansas 25 mph wind than to never ride a bike again.  And I mean it!  It gets easier, better, and more fun each and every time I go for a ride.


In 36 days I will be leaving to fulfill the #1 item on the Miller Bucket List-To travel to Maine and see a lighthouse.  That desire, to travel to a place nearly 2,000 miles from  my home here in south central Kansas, was born years ago.  Just like whether or not I should ever get on a bike again, I have gone back and forth as to whether or not to make such a faraway journey.  The blue line on Mapquest doesn't look too forbidding at first......but when you click "get directions" and it comes up a total distance of 1,731 miles well, I guess it makes you stop and think a moment.


The bottom line is this~At age 56, I'm definitely not getting any younger and probably if I'm going to do this then the summer of 2012 is about a good of a time as any other to "hit the road".  Driving there affords me the opportunity to see states that I have never seen before and perhaps will not see again.  What a blessing to be able to see parts of our country in which many good people also live.   Looking forward to stops near St. Louis, Columbus, OH and Owego, NY.  I'm positive that it's part of "the plan" of my life or I'm thinking I would have given up this dream long ago.


A couple of people, ok...ok...a lot of people have been concerned for my going alone.  Just rest assured that I am not afraid and all things considered, I am a pretty decent driver....at least in a car :)  I promise to be careful and check in often with family and friends.  I will be in good hands...God's been hearing some prayers of thanksgiving as I stayed upright on my bike for 50 miles now.  He'll be hearing the same ones coming from me as I travel to the north east.  What is there to be afraid of?  


My dear friends....I've said it before and here it is again.  Are you afraid of trying something?  What is holding you back?  What would it take for you to try it?  My advice, worth practically nothing :), is to give it a chance.  I'm glad that I finally get the chance to fulfill my wish of seeing the beautiful state of Maine and that "protector of the sailors at sea."  Once I get there, I will have no regrets.  Life is too short and I can't waste another opportunity in it.  


Have a wonderful Wednesday, April 25th in the year 2012....the greatest day EVER to be alive. 




 To my good friends, LeRoy and Anne Willis, getting back on that trainer helped to keep the 1% burning pretty bright.  You two dear folks helped to "lift me up" that day.  Now it's time to get back to normal again.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment