Saturday, February 8, 2014

continuing on with my part of the plan

As a teacher, heck even as a person, I believe I can say that I have come a long ways since my very first week at Olathe Elementary School.  With a thousand other things on my mind on the day before school began for real, I walked into the boys' restroom in our part of the building.  As I made my way into one of the stalls, took care of my business and then walked out I noticed the nice row of urinals alongside one of the walls.  "How weird!", I thought and then to my horror I realized what I had done.  Thankfully so very few adults were in the building that work day and none of the guys that teach on my end of the building were around.  It was only a few days before that in my zeal to arrive early on a Sunday morning and finish things up for our open house with parents, that I managed to set off the school's security alarm system. I was happily working away on a bulletin board in the early hours, when I saw our good principal walking down the hallway to greet me.  And even as wonderful as a leader as he is for all of us there, he wasn't coming in to critique my ability to decorate the area outside of my classroom.  He came to show me how to not set off an alarm again.  I am here to tell you this day that I have done neither of those things since then and for that I feel some accomplishment :)

I can hardly imagine where the time has gone to but very soon we will be at the 3/4 of the way through mark in this school year.  I have asked myself the question many times, "Is it because this is my 36th year that it all appears to fly by at such a quick pace?" but I know that is probably not the case.   Every year has seemed to do that to me, be it year number 1 in 1979 or this one.  Life goes on, whether I live back home in Kansas or here along the Western Slopes of Colorado.  I'm just glad that I have lived to see it happen, you know?

I've spoken many times in this blog about the "18", my students in our fourth grade room at school.  I have come to love them all very much, each in their different ways.  I have seen them grow "big time" in many areas throughout the curriculum and in their own personal lives as well.  I will tell you that they have seen their teacher have tears come to her eyes as I have spoken to them about how proud I am of their growth.  I know of their struggles in life and my heart is filled with joy each time they learn something new.  I'd be the first to tell you that we haven't always seen "eye to eye" on things and they surely do know the "cranky" side of old Mrs. Renfro.  But when the day is done and they line up to go home each night, I always hope  they know I love them and that I want for them to grow up to be fine citizens and decent human beings.  Truth is, and this I know in my heart already, I probably won't be around to see them as grown ups with children of their own as fourth graders.  They got the "later" version of Mrs. Renfro, not the earlier one.  Because of that very thing,  I feel this sense of urgency to have them prepared, at least as much as I can do, for their adult lives ahead.  So I keep trying each day, every day.

And what about me?  Have I grown?

In all my years of being an educator, I'd never taught a class of fourth graders all day long.  Never have I walked into the classroom, shut the door behind me and spent the next more than 7 hours teaching 9 and 10-year olds.  I'd seen plenty of them throughout the years in small group settings for reading and math.  As a Title I teacher, most recently at USD 308 in Hutchinson, I'd had experience working with fourth graders in Tier II intervention groups.  But this year, THIS year has been such a difference for me.  I am fortunate to be blessed with two other fourth-grade teachers who've been doing this for some time now.  Both of them are young (of course most of them are when you get to be my age) and full of energy and spirit to get through the day.  Erin and Amanda have answered a zillion questions from me, some of them ridiculous I am sure.  When I have not understood what to do, there they were just right around the corner.  I'm thankful for them, believe me, REALLY thankful for the guidance they have given me.  I have said many times over the very same thing.  I may have nearly 4 decades of teaching experience under my belt but this year I have felt like a brand new kid.  For all intents and purposes it might as well have been my first year.

As a teacher, I've learned a lot of lessons this year and the greatest one has been to only be one step behind the other two fourth-grade teachers and at least two steps ahead of the "18".  So far, so good.  I've figured out that my life-long dislike of math was not really necessary and that I could learn right alongside the kids in the areas that I didn't seem to "get" when I was their age.  As a life-long Kansan with little knowledge of anything about the great state of Colorado, I have determined it to be easy to learn about Colorado history/geography right alongside of my students.  Hey, I've learned that the Columbine is the state flower here and that the state actually has two state songs.  In 2007, the legislature added the late John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High" to the oldie but goodie "Where the Columbines Grow".  I have learned much more but I don't want to be a show off! :)

Many people have asked me what I'll be doing next year.  Will I be teaching again or return to retirement? (yea, yea, yea....like I know how to stay THERE).  The contract I signed was a one-year only contract, one of limited term.  I truly do not know what will happen after this but there is one thing I DO know.  God is in charge of my life and He has everything all figured out.  I don't need to worry about a thing, just leave it in His very capable hands.  I have loved my experience this year and feel very blessed to have been a part of it all.  I have worked for one of the finest administrators I've ever known and have been a part of a very strong staff of people.  The folks that work at Olathe Elementary stand behind one another and I have seen first-hand how they go out of their way to help anyone who stands in need of assistance.  It's been my privilege to have spent the year among them. 

Is there some "teacher" still left within me?  Yes, I guess that is surely so.

Why did I retire in the first place and the second place?  LOL....I have no idea whatsoever.

Have a great day everyone out there.  Friends and family back in Kansas and beyond, I miss you guys and think of you always.  I'm grateful for the many wonderful experiences I have had in this life and thank you for your part in any and all of them. 

Two great kids from back home in Hutch and the project they did for one of our reading assignments last year.  Matthew and Emma read the scripture for our wedding on the last day of school in May.

From the "good old days" at Yoder Grade School.  My son Grahame (easy to recognize as the only non-Amish kid) and the rest of his first and second grade classmates after we had finished putting together health kits to be sent on to Bosnia during one of the many times of strife there.  We worked with the Mennonite Central Committee at North Newton, Kansas to do this.

One of the great classes at St. Patrick's School in Owego, NY where I visited last spring.  These kids were pen pals with fourth-grade students back at Lincoln Elementary in Hutchinson, KS.

Going to school in the summer time can be a lot of fun!  USD 308 students in 2011, just two weeks before the saga of "old lefty" began. 

The "18" and I on the very first day of school this year.  I know that I have been blessed by knowing them.  For better or worse, in good days and bad, we belong to one another. 

 
 

Who would have ever guessed the plan that God had in mind for me?  I love Olathe Elementary and the children that I have been entrusted with for their fourth grade year.  I am one blessed teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment