Sunday, July 27, 2014

~as the do-overs are allowed~

"Perhaps it is a sign that I've grown up a bit in the years that have gone by.  Maybe I have come to realize that there are things that mean the world to me and there are just as many things that I can most certainly do without.  I guess the greatest awakening has come when a person figures out that most times in life we must lose everything that we have in order to realize just how much is really ours.  How much even the simplest of things can truly mean to us."

     My big sister Sherry and I had fun  looking through some old photos the other night.  It was an evening of cheap entertainment for two sisters from the flatlands of Kansas who do not get to spend near enough time together in this life.  The hundreds of miles between our homes in Altus, Oklahoma and Montrose, Colorado may separate us.  But at least for a couple of days now we are getting to spend some much needed time together.  Going through some of the old photos that Sherry has here brought back many happy memories of life in the "land of long ago and far, far away."  

     The dining room table and floor around it became covered with boxes and sleeves of old snapshots from days gone by.  At first, we had some semblance of order but after an hour or two it was apparent that order had been thrown out the window.  To anyone passing through, it might have even looked as if a Kansas tornado had systematically blown through and deposited them helter-skelter all over the dang place.  Pausing from time to time, we would find ourselves laughing like crazy at some of the pictures from our past or sighing a deep and heartfelt sigh when we came across images of our family members that have now gone on before us.  My heart was happy to see them and even though I felt like crying at the sight of a few of them, I did not.

     Sherry's collection of pictures went back, way back to the early 1970's.  It was a real delight, a gift to be able to see them once again.  There we all were,  frozen as much younger versions of ourselves.  What a time of innocence it ended up being and as we looked at those pictures, images of people long ago, I couldn't help wishing to travel back in time to see those people once again.  

    Photography back now 40 years ago is so much different than today.  I'd forgotten about all the advancements and changes that have taken place since we all snapped those photos with our Polaroids so very long ago.  The picture you got was the picture you kept in 1972.  There were no "do overs" if your hair was out of place, your mouth was open, or your eyes were closed.  As I looked through the stacks of pictures with my sister, I noticed that there were lots of them with heads chopped off, images that were fuzzy, or messed up exposure.  Normally back in those days we would have cringed at the sight of them and tucked them away into the dark abyss of a closet or even sent them to the trashcan for Monday morning trash day.  Thankfully these had not been and as I picked those "not so good" photos up and held them in my hands, I was grateful to see them all once again.

     In 1972 my sister and brother-in-law were married back home in Haven, Kansas.  I stood up as a witness with Sherry that cold January night in the sanctuary of St. Paul's Lutheran Church just down the road aways from our home out in the country just south of town.  One of the pictures that I found in those that we looked at two nights back shows a newly married Wes and Sherry standing alongside me after the service.  I laughed when I saw myself in the picture because of all things, my eyes were closed.  Today in 2014, a digital camera would indicate to me that the picture would need to be taken once again.  It would have been a discard immediately.   Eyes open or eyes shut, it means the world to me today to come across it here in Altus, Oklahoma.  


     I loved the dress that I was wearing,  one that my best friend Marilyn made for me in home economics class when we were juniors in high school.  It was of corduroy material, deep hunter green and burgundy in color with little tiny burgundy buttons going down the front of it.  The peasant style dress was really popular with girls that year, with puffed short sleeves, rounded neckline and empire waist style.  I wore that dress on many occasions in the years that followed and I probably would have kept it around for a long time but unfortunately could not.  It was hanging in my upstairs bedroom closet the night that my folks' house would catch fire and burn to the ground on a Christmas Eve just four years after the photo above was taken.  

     Maybe that is why this picture means so much to me.  Everything that my parents had worked for, all the material possessions they had in their lives together was consumed in an inferno that took only about 15 minutes to spread to an entire house.  Seven people, all family members of mine, were inside the house that night and all seven escaped with their lives.  Sherry and Wes were two of them.   God provided and they made it out alive.  

     That girl with her eyes shut as she smiled for the camera had no clue what would lie ahead for her in life.  Neither did that newly married couple who were standing alongside her.  I was only 16 years old then and the greatest worry on my mind back in those days was whether or not I could earn enough money in tips as a waitress in my folks' cafe there in Haven to put gas into my car to go to Hutch with my friends on a Friday night.  Life went forward from that cold winter night and now so many of the people who were alive back then have now gone on to their Heavenly home.  Both my folks, grandmothers, my brother Mike, little niece Kimberly, most of my cousins, and all the aunts and uncles save for Aunt Beck are gone.  As I looked at their photos at Sherry's dining room table,  it was with a happy heart.  I only felt a little sad and someday we will all be back together again in a place where the picture is always going to be "just right" the first time.  I remember that always and treasure the thought.

     This is the summer before my 59th year and I will always be amazed at the speed of which our lives move by us.  I am now older than my parents were in so many of those pictures from long ago.  I have been given a good life, a very blessed one and although there are times when I say that I wish that time would slow down, I know in my heart that life moves at the pace at which God has planned for us.  Seeing all those many pictures that Sherry has kept during the last 4 decades was a blessing to me and a reminder of where I have come from.  They have shown who I really am and that's a gift that will forever remain special.  Priceless and most humbling.  

    The clock on the wall is telling me it's time to get a move on as we ready ourselves to return back home again.  It's been a great few days in Oklahoma and so thankful for the opportunity to reconnect with my family members here in the "land of red dirt."   Have a great day out there dear family and friends.  In everything, the least to the greatest, we should all give thanks to God above.  This is Sunday, the 27th day of July and a great day to be alive in.  I'm going to do as the Good Book admonishes us .....  be happy and be thankful!


From now so very long ago~
Back row, my two nieces Debbie and Shirley and my sister Cindy
Front row, I am seated alongside my brother Dick who is holding our newborn niece Brandy and our other niece Judy Lee is seated alongside him.  We were in the back dining room of Scott's Cafe and it looks like Cindy and I must have just gotten off work or something.  (geesch, I hope the tips were good that day!)


     
Fast forward into the future, 40 years later~
Still alive and well, living along the Western Slopes in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.
     

     


     

No comments:

Post a Comment