Thursday, July 17, 2014

Norman's Reno County update

Maybe it was because of Calvin, a young Old Order Amish boy who was a student of mine at Yoder Grade School when I was his first-second grade teacher.  Or maybe it was because of Elizabeth, a blonde haired and blue eyed little girl who won my heart when I was her first-second grade teacher at the same small south central Kansas school so many years ago.  Or it even could have been because of Adahir, a young boy who as a third grader sat in my classroom at Avenue A Elementary in Hutchinson, Kansas. Adahir learned to speak, read and write in English that year now so long ago.  Three completely different students from my 37-year career of being a teacher who had one sad thing in common, they all died from childhood cancer. Their lives came to an end before they had hardly the chance to begin.  For whatever the reason, when Mike and I came across a young man pushing a cart in front of him on a section of Highway 50 just up the road a ways from our home in Montrose, Colorado, he got my attention. We have been following the journey of Norman Horn ever since that evening now a month ago.  The following is a weekly "Norman Update".

     I don't believe that I will ever again travel Highway 50 to the east back home to Hutchinson, Kansas without thinking of Norm and his incredible cross country journey, one to educate folks about pediatric cancer and the need for increasing funding to study and most certainly to conquer the disease that takes the lives of children each and every day.  It's 611 miles of Highway 50 from south western Colorado to south central Kansas.  I can drive it on a good day in just about 11 1/2 hours.  It takes just a little longer for Norman.  All the places that I have known so well in my monthly trek back and forth during the last 18 months are places that he had to travel through to arrive where he is right now.  Gunnison, Salida, Canon City, Pueblo, La Junta, Lamar, and onward into Kansas, Norman Horn has been there. 

     By the time that Mike and I came upon him again, now a couple of weeks ago, he was getting ready to cross over the border into Kansas from his last stop in Colorado near Holly.  It was a privilege that day to be able to join him on foot for the last 4 miles of walking in the Rocky Mountain state.  It was hot and humid that July 6th day but we made it with him.  In that short span of time, Mike and I learned more about his purpose in doing this and got just a tiny bit of a taste of what it is like to travel on foot.  Incredible to believe that now, 12 days later, he is soon to arrive in Hutchinson for a stay of a few days.  The good people of that town, my friends and family included, will take very good care of him.  I only wish that we could join them as well.  I am with you all in spirit :)

    The day we first met Norman up near the Morrow Point turnoff, he told us that he was heading east on 50 all the way and would be going through Kansas later on during the summer.  We told him that we knew that part of the state really well and would be glad to help him make connections to places that he could stay and receive overnight shelter.  It has been an honor to be able to help in some way with that part of his journey.  People I knew and those that were total strangers to me agreed to help, all the way from Syracuse to Hutchinson.  The places that I didn't know of anyone were filled in by a faithful group of women back on the east coast who have been helping Norm all along and will continue to do so until he reaches the Atlantic Ocean side of the country in October.  Norm has a strong support crew who will make sure that he gets home again, safe and sound.  Sylvia, Rachel, Sara and Maggie are now my friends and I like that about life.  I've never met them but it sure doesn't seem that way and I just bet you that some day we will meet one another.  Strangers no more. 

     Back home in Kansas, the sun is rising and the day will begin.  Norm doesn't have far today to make it back to the place that I called home all of my life.  For all of you who have helped Norm along the way, whether it was here in Colorado or back home in Kansas or anywhere else in between, I give you my heartfelt thanks.  To show kindness to a stranger sometimes is not easy.  Every once in a while it takes a little bit of courage, you know?  To those who have stepped up to assist in any manner, your life has been blessed.

Maybe it was because I never lost any of my six siblings to childhood cancer or perhaps it was because I did lose my father to lung cancer when I was only 28.  Perhaps it is because this is the summer of my 59th year, the same age my dad was when he took his last labored breath in the hospital that December morning.  What ever the reason was that we should have encountered a total stranger walking along the roadway pushing a cart that pronounced "Fight Childhood Cancer, FTK" maybe isn't even important in the whole scheme of life.  The fact is that we did meet and to our friend Norm, Mike and I would say that we are so glad that we met you and most happy that we could help in your journey in some small way.  From here along the Western Slopes in a place called Montrose, we send you our best wishes with hopes for continued safe passage along the way.  May the eyes and hearts of people be open to you and the message of  your mission for the children.  We cheer you on from here in a place so very far away. Godspeed your journey and may it be one of peace.

A coincidence?  Nah, not even close.



Walking with Norm~
Near the Kansas border on a hot July day.



No comments:

Post a Comment