Friday, July 18, 2014

~from somewhere just down the road~

     I think it may have all started with my bucket list trip to Maine in late May of 2012,  the one in which I drove about 4,000 miles round trip to fulfill my desire to see my very first lighthouse ever.  Leaving about 3:30 a.m. that Monday morning from my home in south central Kansas, I drove pretty much between 400-600 miles each day just to make it there and back by late the following Friday evening.  When the journey was over, I had indeed seen the Portland Headlight at Cape Elizabeth, Maine and returned back with memories that would last me for the rest of my life.  It was my first attempt ever at traveling so far away from home in Kansas "solo" and would definitely set the pace for the journeys that would follow me in the months ahead.

     I will never forget having this picture taken.  Because I was traveling alone, it was obvious that if I wanted to have a photo taken to actually prove that I made it to Maine, I would need to find someone there to take it for me.  A couple was standing near the gift shop, just across the way from this spot, so I walked up to them and asked them kindly if they would help me.  Unfortunately they were visiting from Paris, France and they spoke and understood about six words in English with only about two of them contained in the phrase "Will you please take my picture?"  But through a lot of hand gestures and smiles, we got the picture taken and because of their willingness to help this woman from Kansas, I have a lovely memory of that fine day.  I know it is hard to imagine it but I am wearing my trusty Haven High School alumni sweatshirt.  You know, the one that I seem to be wearing in about 75% of all the photos I take some days?

     That journey to Maine, one that took me through 10 states that I'd never even seen before, ended a near lifetime "drought" of traveling anywhere much outside of the state of Kansas.  I was a homebody and proud of it, I suppose.  Up until that time in life, if I went anywhere it was always to a place within no more than 6 hours' drive from home.  I had no desire to go away to see anything and if I did, I dang sure didn't want to be gone more than a night or two from the familiar surroundings of my own home.  Thankfully that has changed and as I approach the winter of my 59th year later on in October, I have begun to travel more now than ever before.  I have some regrets that I didn't do it sooner than later but at least I have begun.

     I've lost count of the times that I have needed to travel back over the big mountain to the other side (the Atlantic one) of the great Continental Divide to return back to my old home in Kansas.  Suffice it to say that if I had to use fingers and toes to keep track of it, well two hands are used up as well as the better part of my left foot.  There have been many.  The 611 miles it takes to get from Montrose County to Reno County are doable, most times in a good 11-hours' worth drive.  I'm not too crazy about traveling there in the winter but with the help of the friendly weather guys who are way better at understanding the weather than I am, most times I can plan accordingly.  I have learned to have much respect and a healthy dose of fear as I climb over Monarch Pass, about two hours away from home.  But it doesn't scare me enough to stop me, at least when the driving conditions permit.  It's actually very beautiful up there in the winter, especially after a good snow and the roadways have been cleared for traffic to pass through.


     This was the view from the top of Monarch Mountain as we crossed over last December on our way back to the Midwest for the Christmas holidays.  It almost looked as though it could be on the front of a greeting card.  Highway 50 was clear of snow and the skies were a brilliant shade of blue with not a cloud in the sun filled Colorado sky.  There is much beauty at more than 11,000 feet of elevation.  If you have never seen it, please give it a try some time and let me know how you like it.

     For a flatlander from Kansas, one who never  had been bitten by the travel bug before, I now have a desire to see more places in this great country of ours.  Since that bucket list trip to Maine two years back, I've visited the states of Washington, California, Arizona and New Mexico as well as a return trip to the beautiful New England village of Owego, New York.  I'm not sure why the desire is in me now to go and find new things to see but it surely is.  There are plenty of great places yet to visit on my life's "bucket list".  There is nothing to stop me from so doing, only myself.

     Next week Mike and I will be taking a little break from work and traveling to see my sister and brother-in-law in Oklahoma as well as Mike's aunt in Texas.  School will be starting so very soon and if we wish to go, then now is the best time.  We were there last Christmas and had such an enjoyable visit that we vowed to go back in the summer.  Now is the time  and we hope to make a lot of memories as we travel along the way.  During out last visit out there we came home via New Mexico and found the most unusual sign at one of the local restroom areas.  I had to laugh as Mike took it but now I realize that, hey that really wouldn't be all that funny if I really did have that happen to me.


     Hey, I can practice random acts of nonviolent civil disobedience as good or better than the next guy but I gotta tell you that even though I normally hate signs that tell me what I can and cannot do, this sign I paid attention to.  In fact, that was probably the quickest bathroom break this teacher ever took.  Enough said.

     It was strange during our last visit  back to Kansas in early July that I noticed something about myself as a traveler.  There are certain things that I like to take with me, in fact I have started to fill a couple of backpacks full whenever  I travel anywhere these days.  Just like kids enjoy taking their favorite items with them to stay occupied and out of trouble, I too have my personal stash that I seldom leave home without. A camera, cell phone and charger, a planner to keep track of where in the heck I'm going and what I'll do while there, snuggly socks for my tired feet, the prayer shawl that my dear friend Neva Jane back in Kansas made for me, and a journal to write down my thoughts.  I reach into those backpacks along the journey from time to time and feel around for them to be sure that they are there.  It's a comforting thing, I suppose.  When it is said that we revert back to our childhood from time to time, it would be moments such as these that would give credence to it.

     Not sure where my next big journey will take me but I know that I would like to see as much of America as I can before the time comes that I can no longer travel.  It's sad, you know?  I have known so many people who, as they got to an age where they deemed it impossible to travel far away, would sit at home or in their room at the nursing home just wishing they could visit a special place one more time.  Because of poor health, being alone, having no way to get there, matters of finance, or a thousand other reasons for not being able to, their traveling days are done.  Finished.  Through.  The time may come for me in the future to join them but until then, I intend to see as much as I can even if only for a short moment in time.

     Where would you like to go?  Any place special you want to visit?  Don't wait.  Find a way to make it happen dear friends.  You won't regret it if you do.  You may well regret it if you do not.



Alive and well, here along the Western Slopes.  Sometimes it seems so very far away from everyone and everything but in reality, it's really not the case at all.  Have a great day my dear friends and family out there.    





No comments:

Post a Comment