Sunday, December 21, 2014

~for those things which I had forgotten~

     I had forgotten the way that the stairs at the Etcetera Shop in downtown Hutchinson creak as you walk up each of the steps.  I'd also neglected to remember the ache in my knees as I used to try to scale them rather than taking the somewhat antiquated elevator downstairs.  But yesterday as I went up them once again the sound of that squeak was like music to my ears.  It had been a long, long time since I heard that all too familiar noise.  The very first thing we did upon our arrival yesterday afternoon was to stop by that wonderful store, one of my favorite places here.  If you ever get to visit Hutchinson, be sure you stop by there.  It is staffed by folks from the area Mennonite churches and proceeds from sales go to  worldwide mission projects.  It's a win-win situation for a whole lot of people.  Area residents can clean out their closets of unneeded items that are still in good shape.  Shoppers can come in and find some very nice things at a reasonable price.  Somewhere in the world a child will be fed, a village will be inoculated against a dreaded disease, or an entire community will have the life saving gift of clean water to drink from and to bathe in.  Perhaps that is why I love going there so much.
     Mike and I returned back to Hutchinson yesterday afternoon after a long 611 miles on the road.  It had been quite some time since I was back here and after 6 months of being gone, things seemed a bit different.  But the longer I was here, the more all of the familiarity came rushing back to me.  It was sure wonderful to return to south-central Kansas and I look forward to making a lot of memories to store up in my heart.  I needed this trip.
     Last evening we went to the luminaries in the Hyde Park area of town and enjoyed walking all along the candle lit paths that were laid out for us.  It seemed strange to finally be going to them.  In all of my time spent as a resident of the area, I had only done it once before and that time was spent slowly driving through it.  Last night's walk was a lot of fun and a person could surely see much more by just strolling through the beautifully lit up neighborhoods.  The air was a little crisp but there was no wind to be felt.  Everyone we passed had a smile on their faces and the mood was most festive.  Occasionally we would go by a luminary bag that had bit the dust and gone up into flames but for the most part every single one of them burned brightly.  I think I may have had a smile on my face the entire time and it was only after an hour or so of walking that we began to feel the cold in our hands.  It was time well spent and after enjoying a cup of hot mulled cider and making a donation to the Reno County Food Bank we headed for the warmth of our car.  I can't believe that I had to move across the great Rocky Mountains before I ever took the time to enjoy this local holiday tradition.
     Today is a busy day for us as we join Mike's nephew and his good family for Sunday Mass in Wichita this morning.  Later on in the day we are headed over to Haven to attend the Christmas music program performed by the wonderful people at the Haven United Methodist Church.  My sister-in-law Paula and nephew Christopher are part of the bell choir there and it will be a nice treat to hear them play.  The day will go quickly and the intent is not to waste a precious moment of it.
     I didn't realize how much I appreciated the little things here in Hutchinson until I moved away.  For that I have regret.  I have been removed from Reno County long enough that my new home in the Rocky Mountains seems more familiar and I guess in a way that's a good thing.  I have been very blessed by God above.  I was shaped on His mighty anvil here on the prairies of Kansas to be the woman that I am today in my life back on the other side of the Rocky Mountains of southwestern Colorado.  Every thing that has happened to me, from my life's beginning as the sixth child of seven to life now as a teacher of "the 22", was just a part of a plan created by the one who made me in the first place.  I haven't quite understood it all but the nice thing is this.  I never had to understand it to begin with.  I only thought that I did.

The journey from there to here~




Finally taking part in a tradition that I'd know of for so many years before this one.  It was about time!

No comments:

Post a Comment