Thursday, December 4, 2014

~upon having once started out life as a cardboard shoe box~

"This morning's blog post is the 836th one that I have written since this blog's inception, now nearly 4 years ago.  What I started out to do for only one week's time to chronicle my journey on the Bike Across Kansas has now turned into something slightly more than that.  Last year I used this blog as a teaching tool for writing with my fourth graders at Olathe Elementary.  We had fun and learned a whole lot about one another along the way.  This year I have not used the blog with my first graders as of yet.  I was having trouble deciding how to best utilize it for their "good".  Today I know how to do just that and this morning, they will be the subjects of what I write.  Our classroom has a "moose on the loose" to contend with during these last 3 weeks before we leave for our Christmas holidays.  The moose has not been exactly what you would call a "stellar houseguest".  The truth is that he has done some pretty naughty stuff and try as hard as he can, well things happen.  Yesterday he ran off and took out once again, leaving the children puzzled as to his whereabouts and honestly a tiny bit sad.  One little girl was particularly unhappy and it is to her the letter that follows is written.  I love being a teacher and there is no way on earth I would have been truly happy doing anything else."  

A letter for Maggie:

Dear Maggie,

I know you were sad yesterday when Otis, our resident "moose on the loose", took out once again. Your kind heart was a little broken at the very notion that Otis wasn't able to settle down, even after you had gone to the trouble of making him such a fine moose workshop.  Wow, you fashioned it so well that I almost didn't recognize it as a "former" container for shoes.  You went to a lot of hard work as you added so many nice details like the area rug on the floor and the special picture above it.  I hope you didn't feel too badly but I could tell by the look on your face when you said, "I thought it would work Mrs. Renfro." that it was perhaps a little disheartening to you.  You have a beautiful heart Maggie and even should it be broken from time to time, never let that change you.  Not even a little bit.  This world of ours needs people whose hearts are good and kind.  Just like yours.

I wondered what lesson dear Otis would teach us all.  You know I was a little hesitant to have a "moose on the loose".  I mean, really, we are very busy right now trying to improve our reading, writing and math skills.  To have Otis come to visit us could be a distraction rather than a help.  But there was just something about him on that day that I first met him in downtown Montrose that made me believe in him and the impact a tiny moose on skis could make in our classroom.  Yesterday I saw how he had affected us and it was an effect that I liked to see.

Maggie, I think that Otis is going to change us and remind us of how much we need one another in our families at home and in our school family as well.  I believe that the lesson he is going to deliver to us is one of forgiveness.  It's no secret that sometimes in our classroom, as well as any other one in our building, that occasionally people hurt one another's feelings.  When that happens we often have to learn how to forgive them.  Sometimes that's not easy, even for grownups like me but it is necessary in order to go on and have a good day.  Did you know that  I get my feelings hurt too?  There are times that I feel like crying when that happens but I try not to.  I have learned that it takes a very strong person to say "I forgive you." and to give a second chance to someone.  But I can do it and so can all of you children.

By the time we read this together in class this morning in our community meeting around the fire, Otis will be once again safe and sound in his wonderful moose workshop, sitting high atop the bookshelf where he can see all of you kids working away on your studies.  Yesterday I watched you children write letters of persuasion to Otis, begging him to return to us in our classroom.  I saw just how dear and kind your heart is as well as the hearts of all of your classmates.  Your good friend Lizzy asked him in her note, "Has anyone ever loved you Otis?" and it made me have a great idea, one that you all can be a part of.  By the end of the day you will all know what that "idea" is.  

I'm glad that you are a good reader and writer Maggie.  It does me well to see how your math is improving.  All of your classmates are improving and each of you is on the way to becoming exemplary students.  That's why your parents send you to school every day.  They want you to learn.  It's as simple as that.  It's what I want for you all as well.  That's why I am a teacher.  It's as simple as that too!  But becoming a great student is definitely not the only thing I wish for you in fact, I believe that the greatest of lessons that I can help you and your classmates to learn are the ones of life.  Will you know how to be accepting of people, regardless of your differences?  Will you be kind to one another, even though sometimes that's just about the hardest thing ever to do?  Will your heart always be "good and caring"?  How will people remember you or me or any other person on this planet Earth?  My hope, my real prayer is that it will always be for the good.

It started out as a cardboard shoe box, that container that you turned into a moose workshop.  It was made with love and caring, offered in good spirit to a moose who sometimes has a little trouble with knowing "right from wrong".  Your good friends Lizzy and Scarlett inspired you to make it and now Otis is the recipient of the goodness of your heart.

Maggie, do you know that I love you and all of your classmates?  Do you know how much I care about what happens to you each day, not only in our classroom but anywhere else you might be?  Even if you do, my wish is for you to hear it once again.  Of course, you know what I tell you all the time, the question that I ask of you children.

"What are you supposed to do if you ever have a teacher who doesn't make a mistake?"
FIND A NEW TEACHER!  (I will always have a job!)

"What are you supposed to do if you ever have a teacher who says they don't love you?"
FIND A NEW TEACHER!

Maggie, I rest my case :)

Love to you and all of the other kids in our classroom,

Mrs. Renfro






No comments:

Post a Comment