Monday, December 8, 2014

~why worry?~

From the other side of the big mountain, good morning everyone.  Welcome to the new day!

It's the 8th day of December and hard to imagine how fast the time is flying.  Just 11 sleeps more and we get to go home to Kansas to celebrate the glorious Christmas holiday with our family back there.  I've been counting down the days forever it would seem and doing a whole lot of another thing.  Worrying.  Lots of fretting.  Probably not the best thing to do, all things considered.

I'm anxious because it is winter time and not the best of seasons to take out on a journey of over 600 miles, across the mountains and through canyon lands as we make our way toward the plains of Kansas.  At an elevation of over 11,000 feet, dear Monarch Pass can be icy and snow packed at this time of year.   The drop down is rather formidable and with wind, more snow and a thousand other things to consider, well you get the picture. I've been through a ground blizzard or two as I have crossed the eastern half of this state and after living all of my life in Kansas, I know what the snow can be like there too.  I've played through several "what ifs?" in my mind this past weekend as Mike and I talked about the upcoming trip.  And once again I realize that's probably not the best thing to do, all things considered.  It is surely one thing to be prepared as you travel along the road anytime of the year but especially at this time and quite another to let fear of the unknown as you travel hold you back from enjoying the journey.

It's a funny thing about the God who watched over me all the while in Kansas.  He came here too and is with me in Colorado.  I know beyond all else that He wouldn't dump me off out here in the wilderness of the Rocky Mountains and say~

"Lots of luck here kid.  You are on your own now!"
It's a nice thing to remember and to hold close to my heart.  We will be ok.

We've started keeping track of all the things we want to do while we are there and all of the people we hope to see. Yesterday afternoon Mike began to pencil things in on our planner.  We get to attend Mass on the 21st with our nephew and his good family at St. Jude's in Wichita and then in the afternoon we'll be back at Haven for the Christmas program there at the Methodist church.  The United Methodist Church that still sits on the corner of Kansas Avenue and 4th Street back in my hometown is the first church I ever remember attending Sunday School at.  Lots of nice memories of a time now so very long ago.

Because of the kindness and generosity of special friends back in Hutchinson, Mike and I will get to go to the Kansas Cosmosphere and spend several hours touring the museum, attending the Cosmosphere show, be entertained at the Planetarium and in Doctor Goddard's Lab, and if our stomachs can take it, ride in the simulator there.  My house back in Hutch is only a few blocks away so the neighborhood is one so very familiar to me.  They have a great gift shop and thus "the 22" will more than likely receive a souvenir from my trip home.  When my 3 kids were little, the gift shop was the most exciting stop of going over to the Cosmosphere and it brings a smile to my face and to my heart to remember that this morning.

Between Hutchinson, Haven, Cheney, Valley Center, and Wichita we have much to do and see in the 11 days we are there.  I am thankful that the Renfro Family and the Scott Family celebrations will be held in communities that are very close by one another.  We hope to be able to spend time lots of time seeing everyone along the way.  The five long months since I have been there seem to have been forever.  My heart and spirit are looking so forward to the journey to the land of "somewhere over the rainbow".

Ten days remain of school now and "the 22" and I have a lot to do and accomplish.  These final days can be very stressful if we allow them to be.  My aim is to lessen the stress as much as is humanly possible.  Although I am so thankful for nearly 16 days off from school for all of us, kids and adults alike, I will still miss those little people and wonder if everything is going well for them.  I will miss the adults too, people who have become not only my friends and colleagues but a "second family" as well.  The 5th of January we will return to our building, a brand new semester to begin in a brand new calendar year.  2015~hard to imagine.

Friday the 19th, all things well and God willing, we are headed east.  Never did think I'd be so happy to see the places that I once took for granted.  Bogey's, Smith's Market, Dillons on 5th Street, my old hometown, The Spice Merchant, Gander Mountain, the "lucky tree" on 96 Highway going to Wichita .....man, the list could go on and on.  My life has been blessed beyond measure and I hope to never forget that.

My eyes opened from slumber this day and if you are reading this, then so have yours.  It was meant for us to be here and for whatever the purpose shall be, a great plan lies ahead of us.  The nice thing is that with God's help, we all get through this thing called "life" together.  Why worry?

Haven, Kansas
My hometown.

Monarch Mountain on the trip back to Kansas last year at Christmas time.
Like a greeting card it appeared to us.

I now have homes in two different states.  It has worked out ok :)






No comments:

Post a Comment