Thursday, September 3, 2015

~and when you least expect it~

In November of 2011, I had the occasion to visit the state of Iowa and in particular to see the famous covered bridges of Madison County.  The journey was a very quickly planned one as I met up with friends who happened to be there visiting as well.  I'd never driven so far on my own before but when I left after school that Friday evening I had no fear at all of making the trip solo.  It would be my first visit there but at age 54 I figured that there would be no better time to do so.  So I went and had a great time. 

One thing I noticed along the way, especially after heading east out of Kansas City, Missouri was the fact that everywhere I looked it seemed that there was the carcass of a dead deer lying on the shoulder of the highway.  I lost count after about 20 of them and as day turned into night I'm certain that there were plenty more that I could not see.  It was in the heart of rutting season after all and I am sure that there had been plenty of unsuspecting drivers who had encountered them along the way to wherever they had been heading.  The death toll for the deer was rather high by my calculations.  That Saturday morning as we ventured out into the countryside from the small town of Osceola, it was apparent that a whole lot more deer had lost their lives.  About every couple of miles we saw the remnants of animals who had been hit by drivers who came across them along the way.   

In the "car vs. deer" game, the end result is usually not the best for the deer involved.

Standing on the Roseman Bridge-Madison County, Iowa in November of 2011.

We knew the danger of deer around us all the time when Mike and I lived in Montrose, Colorado for these past two years.  Deer were in our yard on a sometimes daily basis.  It was fun to watch them come up toward the house and skirt around to the other side of the road past our old Cottonwood trees.  Sometimes they even got brave enough to let me take their picture before they hurriedly scampered off for the safety of the woods across the way.  Even though they were beautiful we never forgot to watch out for them as we drove along the road into town.  Many times they crossed the street right in front of us and at the very last minute we would have to slam on our breaks.  Deer are unpredictable and when one crosses the road it is generally followed by a few more.  I'm thankful to have never hit one before and I hope I never do.

They were so beautiful!  Their majesty and elegance always shone through every time that I saw them.  Such wonderful creatures.

Now in northern Texas we not only get to remember to watch for deer but also for wild hogs as well.  We didn't realize that they were this close to our home here just across the Red River but they are.  They are not the kind of animal that you want to come across anywhere, either as you drive on the road or look out your back door to find them digging up your flower beds or gardens.  These feral hogs are not friendly pigs like E. B. White's "Wilbur".   I've been advised by many of the locals around here to be watching for them as I travel the back country roads to and from school.  I'm not too crazy about hitting one of those things either so I try my best to remain on the alert, especially in the darkness of the early morning hours as I wind my way to school along the river and creek banks where they like to hang out.  

Life seems to be full of times when we come across things when we least expect it.  A deer in the roadway or an old momma sow leading her litter of babies across the highway right smack dab in front of you are only a couple of those times.   From the lifelong comfort and security of my home on the Kansas prairies, I never expected to experience life in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado or on the plains of Texas.  After being alone for many years, I never once imagined that sooner or later I would meet up with this kid I knew from the "land of long ago and far, far away" either.  

Yet 2 1/2 years later Mike and I find ourselves heading through this journey together. 
Even with the unexpected, one thing shall always remain true.

Life is still very good.

The day after we were married back in May of 2013, we went back to visit our old high school in south central Kansas.  It seemed strange to be standing there together in that hallway.  


No comments:

Post a Comment