Saturday, October 7, 2017

~and I believe I still have one~

3 packages of tulip and jonquil bulbs have been taking up space on the dining room table for nearly two weeks now.  We picked them up on a recent shopping trip and thought they would look good when they came up in the spring.  The blue planter seemed to be the best container for them and so this morning I made the decision to finally take care of them.

You know I kind of like referring to it as being "optimistic".  


There are about 5 different squirrels that frequent our backyard on the outskirts of town here.  They are critters known far and wide to have a voracious appetite for bulbs of any kind.  As I nestled them into the soil and carefully covered them over with more rich earth, I imagined in my mind that somewhere out there, a squirrel was watching me.  When I least would figure it to happen, he would bring back a friend or two for a late afternoon raiding party on the morning's work.  

Yep.  I would say you need to be optimistic to plant bulbs of any kind in this part of the world.

We are settling into the season of autumn here and all around us things are changing.  The grass needs mown less and less, the hardware store has a full array of colorful mums displayed in front of it, and each morning as I ready myself for school I check to see if I will need a jacket for any given part of the day.  The hot days of our Texas summer are pretty much behind us and before we know it the calendar will be flipped towards December where the premiere of winter awaits us.  
Sometime in mid-March if the good Lord is willing and I'm still around here to see it, the springtime flowers that I set to grow this morning will be popping up for all to view.  

A good friend of mine told me that it's wise plant for the future and the great thing is this.
I believe I still have one.
And so should you.


She didn't know how it would go but her future was waiting ahead for her.  45 years later, she is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment