Tuesday, October 10, 2017

~and life sure seems funny that way~


From our home along the Red River in Burkburnett, Texas~

The day has come to an end here in this north Texas town.  It started in the early morning hours of 4:00 a.m. and made its way through a day at school with 10 of the dearest children I have ever known.  We worked hard.  We played hard.  At the appointed time, we said our good-byes to one another and promised to see each other in the morrow for yet another day of school.  It was quiet before they came and even quieter after they left.  Although I love a bit of peace and tranquility like the next guy, I would take their 7 hours of laughter and talking over solitude any day of the week.

I'm funny that way.

Now it is the nighttime and the sun has long disappeared from the sky above us.  One last load of clothes is washing in the laundry room in preparation for our journey home to Kansas later on this week.  Sally the Dog has already figured out that something is up.  Once Mike pulled down the suitcases and we started to pack things inside of them, she disappeared into the living room to pout in the corner.  It's impossible to take Sally along this time and she will be missing us I am sure.  

Sally's funny that way.

This morning I had an unusual question from one of the kids at school who asked me about this blog and why I wrote it.  She wanted to know how I got an idea of what to write.  I told her that the blog's stories are nothing special and that they tell only of my life here on the prairies of this area they call Texoma.  I told her that sometimes I just sit down and write, not really having any notion of what to say, only that I feel the need to say something.

To say anything.
And that's kind of like tonight.
Tonight I am thinking, perhaps too much.

As the years have gone by, I've found myself holding on to many memories of people and places that I've known in my now nearly 62 years of life.  Everywhere I have went, a piece of my heart was left with the people I knew there.  It was heartbreaking to leave different places and folks behind.  I'm remembering so many of those dear ones tonight.  Things I have long forgotten sometimes come to my thoughts and in my heart I find myself saying,

"Hey.  I remember when that happened."

Tonight I am feeling nostalgic and sentimental.  Perhaps it because we are heading home to the "land of long ago and far, far away".  Maybe it's because of renewed friendships with people that I long ago last saw.  Whatever it is, whatever is giving me the feeling of needing to talk about it with you within the words of this blogpost, well sometimes we just don't understand.  It really doesn't count for all that much in the end I suppose.  All that matters is that it happened and all those people and places really meant something to me and to my heart.  One thing is for certain.

Life sure seems funny that way.



For as much as I was homesick for Kansas while I lived in Colorado for two years, I do indeed miss the mountains.



Mike told me before I came the first time that the view out the kitchen window of his house was worth $1,000,000.  


We made the journey back in 2013 for my class reunion at Haven.  These kids from the land of long ago, and far, far away were the friends of my youth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment