Thursday, March 15, 2012

ready to close the chapter

Unless I'm dreadfully mistaken (sure hope that's not the case) my doctor visit to the Kansas Orthopaedic Center in Wichita on March 26th will be the final day for "old lefty's" problem.  If that is indeed to be true, then this journey that I have been on will have taken a grand total of 235 days to travel through.  Over 8 months, what seemed like a thousand dr. visits, more "exoskeletons" than I've ever desired to become acquainted with, and innumerable regrets for ever having tried to jump that stupid curb in the first place (LOL), it will be through!


I have tried to keep "old lefty" very busy and productive since I last saw Dr. Chan.  I'm getting braver and braver all the time with using my left hand for things that I just a month or two ago thought would never happen again.  The crew at the Wendy's drive-thru cheered me on last night when I paid for my food with my left hand and even dared to get back the change in the same way. My usual carry-out guy at Dillons tells me that he is starting to feel "left out" (LOL) because I no longer need his assistance with getting even ONE bag of groceries carried out to my pick up.  Things are looking better all the time.


Even though I notice every day that things are getting better, there are still some issues that I will need to continue working on.  It will be a happy day for me when I no longer have to reach over with my right hand to roll up my truck windows.  One thing I have learned for sure is that I seem to spend way too much time in drive-thru lanes each day.  :)


Anything that requires much of a twisting motion, for instance turning a door knob, is still quite difficult for me to do.  But I am making forward progress and to me, that's all I need to remember.  Keeping in mind that Dr. Chan told me it could take a year or more for everything to return to normal, I think I probably should consider my progress to be pretty dang good :)  Living through this experience has begun to be the "life lesson" of learning to be more forgiving of myself and to be thankful for any accomplishment "old lefty" and I have made.  For a woman who started this ordeal out with a limb that, from the inside, looked like a bomb had exploded, I have come such a very far way.  And this day, I acknowledge that to myself.  See, I told  you I was getting better :)


Friends, I am positive that many of you have gone through similar trials in your lives and I'm just about as certain that many of them have been a thousand times worse than my battle with a broken arm.  Many who might read this blog post have lost a spouse or a child or grandchild.  Some have lost their jobs with little hope of being rehired in the near future.  I'm blessed to have never experienced having cancer or heart disease, but right now I know that 6 of my friends are facing those very  life threatening illnesses.  And many times I have thought, "Why them?  Why not me?"


I will have learned many lessons having survived this 8 month long experience, each one of them important in their own way.  But one of the unexpected ones that I realized early on was just how much we all need one another to make it through the rough times that this life has to offer.  As I near the end of this particular journey, I once again offer a heartfelt thanks to anyone who ever did anything to help me get through this.  If you tied my shoes or listened to me as I cried in defeat, and everything else in between, may God bless you for lifting me up.  Perhaps someday I will be able to do the same for you my dear friends.....I'm not going to be forgetting.  Good night dear friends and have a great sleep!  






The view from the front yard from my house on 14th Street this afternoon.  I love these ornamental pear trees...a pair of them standing tall.  It's always been amazing to me how God figured out all of the beautiful things He made for us to enjoy.  I still believe that there are WAY more good things in this world of ours than there are bad.  My dear friends, I hope you feel that way as well  :)  Please don't let anyone convince you otherwise!











No comments:

Post a Comment