Monday, March 19, 2012

when life goes differently than planned~

My dear friends, I decided to write one last blog post before taking a little break from writing for awhile.  I feel like the proverbial "plate spinner" with a thousand plates spinning at once with about 999 of them ready to crash at any given moment in time!  Don't worry, I've picked up the pieces of many broken plates before.  Kind of used to it actually :)


I've been so very busy these past few days trying my best to get things packed up and ready to move very soon.  My house here on 14th Street has started to become noticeably bare inside with boxes packed full of my stuff stacked two deep along the dining room wall. In my efforts to start to "travel lightly" I have either sold or given away many things.  Man, I want to take a moment to say how wonderful it does feel to do that!  I've been "tied" to excess things for most of my adult life.  What freedom I have felt to be able to systematically rid myself of things that I honestly can't remember why I even bought them in the first place.  My things had begun to own "me", rather than my owning "them." 


Two weeks from yesterday, I will have spent my first full day living in Valley Center, Ks.  I cannot imagine how strange it will feel to wake up in a different house, on a different street, in a strange new town.  But I'm soon fixing to find out!  


I have fielded many questions from friends and family alike as to why I would want to leave Hutchinson in the first place and head to a town like Valley Center.  And you know, I really don't have a good answer for them, at least not one that they wish to hear (LOL).  There are a few, ok maybe more than a few, who don't believe my decision to move away to be a wise one.  I respect them for that and actually am thankful that they care enough about me to mention it.  There are others who have said they are happy for me to be able to go, that they too would like to someday make a move to a new place, a new life.  While I respect each and every person's kind thoughts and concerns for me, I know that the decision is mine and mine alone to make.  My choice is to leave and find out what life is like somewhere else.  And so, in two weeks more I shall be doing just that very thing.


Having said all of this, I have to tell you that sometimes even I stop and wonder about my decision and the prospect of starting a new life elsewhere.  It is a little scary to uproot yourself from a place that you know well enough that it becomes second nature for you to live there.  But scary as it might be, I am looking at the move as a good opportunity for me to figure out what I wish to do with the rest of my life.  I would say that I am still trying to figure out what to do when I grow up but as my good friend, LeRoy Willis would be quick to point out....you may have to grow older but you never have to grow up!  As of this evening,  I know 5 people in Valley Center and one of the first things I need to consider doing is meeting at least 5 more.  And I will, you just watch and see!


You know what?  Last evening while I was mowing the yard, the weirdest thing happened to me.  Friends, I believe that I got a message from God.  And the message was this, "going to Valley Center is my plan for you...don't worry, everything will work out fine."  And that was it....nothing more and nothing less.  Strange how He chooses to let us know sometimes just what He desires for us.  Imagine that, me pushing an old lawnmower and trying to cut some of the worst Bermuda grass ever getting "the word" from above.  Hey, IT can  happen!


Those of you who have read this blog before know that I've received numerous "whacks upside the head" from God when I wasn't paying attention to what He was trying to tell me, asking me to see.  But last night's message wasn't a "wake up Peggy Miller...do you need me to shake you by the shoulders?" kind of moment.  Rather, it was more like a whisper, that "still small voice" that the "good book" speaks of so often.  And what was most amazing to me was the fact that this time, for once, I heard it and I knew what it meant for me.  And if I had to choose between a "whack upside the head" when I'm in the mood to do things my way and ask God about it later and listening to the "still small voice", well friends I'm going with the "still small voice".  Makes me stop and wonder just how many other messages I've missed in this life.  Thinking for sure that there have probably been many.  


The  upcoming week is to be a very busy one for me, both at my job and at home.  Even though lots of stuff is packed away, there is still a whole bunch more that lies waiting.  Since I sometimes feel like I've been "trading daylight for dark" a lot lately, I guess I'd better get a move on.  The next 11 days will fly by faster than can be imagined.  I'm going to take a little break from my blog and concentrate on getting all of my loose ends tied up here at home.  So much lies ahead~


Come Friday morning, March 30th, a big UHaul truck will be parked in the driveway of my home.  My two "strong" :) sons, Ricky and Grahame are my moving guys and they'll be busy loading up my belongings in anticipation of my moving away on March 31st.  I've been blessed with a group of friends, teachers from school, who are willing to help me take the little stuff over in their vehicles.  We might look like something out of the "Grapes of Wrath" as we leave Hutch and head to Sedgwick County but I think we'll make it just fine.  


I'll post again next week, closer to the time of departing here.  In the meantime, I still will think of you all my dear friends.  May the days ahead be peaceful ones for you and please don't worry about anything for me.  I'm way more determined than I could ever possibly be afraid in this life.  I'll make it and so will you!  Good night everyone....talk to you in a week!






Back when I was young and foolish (2 years ago) and actually THOUGHT I was retiring...Slow learner....

No comments:

Post a Comment