Monday, May 7, 2012

I am WAY more determined than I would EVER plan to be afraid

In the early morning hours today, I made a trip once again to the "land of miracles" to have Dr. Chan take a quick "look see" at how "old lefty" was doing.  For the past several weeks I have had a feeling of something "catching" inside when I turned my arm a certain way.  At times it would feel especially painful and if I was carrying something as it happened, the only alternative was to let it just drop from my grasp.  I wasn't too crazy about the chance of having something go wrong~so I decided the smartest thing to do was just have the good doc check it out in order to know for sure.

Seemed kind of weird and almost strange to step back into the Kansas Orthopaedic Center once more.  It's been more than 8 weeks now that I was dismissed and since moving to Valley Center last month, I've driven past it every day.  Friends, I gotta say that it's been pretty wonderful to just keep on driving by it.  Not too anxious to ever be a patient there again yet I guess that if I needed those kinds of services again in the future, the ONLY place I'd wish to go would be there.

The routine hadn't changed, not one little bit.  First stop was x-ray, just like a thousand "picture taking sessions" before.  Then back to Dr. Chan's office to see what he had to say.  He took a look at my arm and did some manipulating of it before finding the area that had been giving me fits. And then he rendered his verdict.

My x-rays showed many things that were good~and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention those things first of all.  All of my "Red Green" hardware is just exactly where he placed it.  The plate with the numerous pins still attached was standing straight and tall, the 12" long screw (ok, ok I am exaggerating) was still there in its slanted position holding bones and the plate together.  The area where "Eleanor" was grafted has healed so nicely and as I looked at it again this morning, my heart still became swollen with love and gratitude for that unknown man, a 45-year old from the state of Missouri who gave me the gift of that segment of bone upon his own death.  You know, I vowed the day I received it during the second surgery on "old lefty" back in August last year that I would take care of it and my arm in that man's memory.  That's why I was there in the doctor's office this morning~I didn't want to have anything further happen to my arm.

The area that has been causing me trouble is the area of the ulna that had a small section removed during the third surgery back in December.  The removal of that piece of bone enabled Dr. Chan to manuever things around so that my left wrist could regain a bit of the range of motion that it had lost.  Now it appeared that the sensation of something "catching" was the result of a bit of bone that had grown in where it probably had no business being.  For now, Dr. Chan wants to watch it and if things haven't improved or if the pain worsens, then we will consider yet a 4th surgery to go back in and remove the excess growth.

One thing I admire about Dr. Chan~he isn't in a hurry to "cut into" people.  He errs on the side of being patient and watchful.  Since I am the one he would be cutting into,  I am grateful for that.  He reminded me once again, just like he has so many times before, that my injuries last August were very severe and that unless he HAS to, he would rather not put my arm through anything further than it's already been through.  It will be another 6-8 weeks in a long arm cast if I have to have the next surgery.  That's one thing I'd rather NOT sign up for again~least wise, not if I DON'T have to!

Before I left, Dr. Chan measured the strength in both of my hands.  The right hand scored its usual "high 50s range" and "old lefty", well "old lefty" is getting a bit stronger every day.  When I left after my last visit in March, the left hand scored a miserable 28.  Today, it had made it to 35.  I know that's nothing to brag about but for me, it shows progress.  And all right, I guess I'd have to admit to it~I shall never win a left-handed wrist wrestling tournament again and thus will be forced to concede my title to another person. (WHAT?  You didn't know I ever had?)  But it doesn't matter.  "Old lefty" may not be very pretty any more but the last time I checked, which was about a second ago, it is still attached to what is left of a wrist and a hand with 5 short little fingers.   And you know what dear friends?  I believe I'm going to rejoice, give thanks, and as the "Good Book" says, "be glad in it!"

Good night my friends~with love to you all.....and by the way, if I haven't said it before, it's kind of nice to have someone to say good night to!


The BEST thing that could have happened to me.....August 4, 2011.  It turned my outlook on life around. For THAT I give thanks to God above for my much needed "wake up" call.

No comments:

Post a Comment