Friday, May 18, 2012

I didn't get into this for the money......

You know, I have always said that it was a darned good thing that Peggy Miller isn't a "high maintenance" kind of girl because living on a teacher's salary probably wouldn't take me too far along THAT road of travel in life.  34 years after finding myself in this career, I still make much less annually than many college graduates seem to start out at these days in other fields.  And you know what, I don't even care.  I have learned over the past 3+ decades that a teacher's "real reward"  doesn't get deposited into a bank account on the 15th of  each month.  No, instead sometimes it shows up at your classroom door when you very least expect it.  Kind of like it did today....

Tears are in my eyes right now as I type these words to you all.  This young man was one of the very first students I had when I taught here at Lincoln Elementary for the first time, now over 10 years ago.  His name is John Mayfield Allen, Jr. I was his teacher in the Developmental First Grade class that year and I love him very much!  He came to school to visit me today and surprised the "living daylights" out of his former first grade teacher.  John's story is pretty remarkable and I want you to know the kind of young man he has grown up to be.

John Allen captured my heart from the minute I met him, a tall gangly-legged, nearly 8 year old boy who was one of 10 students in my class here at Lincoln.  One thing I will always remember about him, in fact we talked about it today, was how much trouble he used to get into in class for laughing and "cutting up" while he should have been paying attention.  When I brought it up to him today, in my meanest  (LOL) teacher voice, he reminded me...."Oh, Mrs. Miller I stopped doing that finally when I was in the 6th grade."  We both laughed!

John and his little brother, Shaquille, were raised by their maternal grandfather and great-grandmother.  I can still close my eyes and see their great-grandmother, Dorothy, bringing them into school for conferences or special programs.  I can hear her sweet and now sainted voice calling out to them, "Boys, get over here by me!" when they would be wandering around or getting into mischief.  And trust me, when Dorothy Moye told you to "get OVER here", well that's just exactly what you did.  Her son Doug, the boys' grandfather, loved those two little guys with all of his heart.  He worked hard to make a living for them all and still played  an active role in their growing up years.  Every kid would have been blessed to have a "Poppa" like Doug and a grandmother like Dorothy.  John Allen and Shaquille Henderson WERE  blessed and because of that very thing, they had a chance to grow into the fine young men they are today.  Their blessing later became "my" blessing as I was privileged to work with them both in the classroom for the two years I was at Lincoln.

John had a twin brother who didn't live long after birth and I always wondered what it would have been like to have "two John Allens" running around the place.  Even though he was the survivor of the two, he had his own share of health issues but managed to grow up into a reasonably healthy young man.  When I saw him today, actually for the first time in over 10 years, I had to look twice.  The little boy that I remembered from my "teacher's heart" so long ago  had grown into a very handsome young man.  One thing had not changed...his beautiful smile and twinkling eyes were just like I had remembered them from so many long years passed.

Sunday afternoon, John will walk across the stage with the rest of the Hutchinson High School graduating seniors of 2012.  This summer, he'll begin his journey through the next part of his educational life here at Hutchinson Community College.  John will be the recipient of a scholarship from HCC that was promised to him and the rest of his 3rd grade classmates, now many years ago.  That particular group of third graders were part of a special group of kids that were "taken under the wings" of our local community college.  If those 3rd grade students could keep their grades up all through high school, stay focused and out of trouble, and in some way give back to their community, then they were guaranteed a "full ride" scholarship for two years of study.  John is one of 3 seniors who actually fulfilled all of the criteria to receive the award and it doesn't surprise me a bit.  He loves math and will major in accounting once he gets there.  Without a doubt, I KNOW he will make it.  He HAS to!

I'll be sitting in the Salthawk Activity Center on Sunday with all of the other proud family and friends of this year's graduating seniors.  When the name "John Mayfield Allen, Jr." is called out there will be a lump in my throat and yes, ok, ok...I'm pretty sure a tear in my eye!  I give thanks to God for having been afforded the blessing of knowing him, teaching him, and loving him.  He's one kid that I will NEVER forget about and THAT is a promise!

For the hundreds of children I've been fortunate enough to know and work with, for all of the "John Allens" of this world~I give thanks to God for the chance to help guide them along the way.  I hope to have made a difference.  As their teacher, I can say that I have tried my very best.  I pray that it may it have been enough.








No comments:

Post a Comment