Saturday, May 12, 2012

NOT EVEN THE YEARS CAN SEPARATE US...

I had the privilege and blessing of growing up in the small Reno County town of Haven, Kansas.  Even though I moved away from it, now 30 years ago, I kept the memory of that beautiful little place and the people who lived there tucked deep inside of my heart.  You know, it won't matter how many different places that I live in during this life, if I am asked "Where are you from?" the answer will ALWAYS be "From Haven."  


So very many of the former residents that I once knew while living there have moved on to different communities, just like me.  Today, I was so thankful to be able to catch up with 3 of them in the north eastern  Kansas city of Lawrence.   Please meet my good friends, Nita Grier and two of her children, Jim Grier and Sara Grier Pistorius.  


Sara-HHS Class of 1972


Jim-HHS Class of 1975

Nita and her husband, the late Paul Grier, owned the only pharmacy/drug store/picture processing center/ soda fountain in Haven.  It was located at the corner of Main Street and Kansas Avenue right smack dab in the middle of town.  Grier's Pharmacy was the place that I had my first taste of cinnamon bears, my first sip of a vanilla Pepsi and this interesting concoction called a Green River.  And when  my family was sick with coughs that just wouldn't quit, I learned about a pretty nasty medicine called Terpin hydrate.  It was the kind of stuff that was potent enough that you had to sign for it to even buy it.  Funny, I remember as a kid my mom sending me in for some and my having to write  my "Peggy Scott" on the dotted line even though I probably wasn't even in high school.  Things are so different today....a similar kind of medicine would probably take at least 12 forms of ID to even think about being able to  purchase it.  Man, I guess the times have changed...not always for the best.


I have many fond memories of Paul Grier and the man that he was.  Paul was the guy who, when my parents' house burned to the ground on Christmas Eve of 1976, filled EVERY single one of my dad's prescriptions within an hour of hearing about the fire.  When it came time to pay him for it, he waved his hand "no" at my mom and said he wouldn't take a thing for it. Not sure you would find that a prevalent practice any more these days.   But as far as Paul Grier was concerned, it was the only way to do business when one of his friends/neighbors needed a hand.  The entire Grier Family, Paul and Nita and their children, Judy, Sara and Jim hold a special place in the memory of this "former" Haven kid.  What a joy to be able to spend time with them today.


A wonderful thing about being a lifelong friend with someone is that uncanny ability to just "pick up" where you left off in life and in our case, the "left off" part happened now over 35 years ago.  We shared a wonderful meal together in the living room of Nita's home and swapped stories of what we remembered  life to have been like in the land of "long, long ago and so very far away."  Our time together passed much too quickly and before we knew it, the time had come to say good bye to one another with a promise to meet up again in the future.  I intend to keep my part of the promise.


The 5th item on the "Miller Bucket List", to meet each of my Facebook friends in person, buy them something to drink and talk about life for a while, remains very important for me to accomplish.  The four of us talked at length about how the medium of "Facebook" has enabled folks to be in touch with one another.  What a true blessing it is to be able to connect with friends from years past, no matter where they may be at in the world.  My blessings were "three fold" today and to Nita, Sara, and Jim I say "thank you" for inviting me into your lives today and sharing the joy of a long overdo reunion with friends.  


I would be remiss, if I didn't mention one more thing...It would have been easy for me to say that instead of travelling the 350 mile round trip to Lawrence this day, that I should stay home and get some work done around here.  I'm behind on my laundry, the yard needs mowed, and if I don't get with it and finishing unpacking the remaining boxes from my move here now going on 6 weeks ago, people are going to start talking.  :)  Yet the one lesson that stays with me more than anything else from "old lefty's" accident now almost 10 months ago is this:  LIFE IS SO VERY SHORT-DON'T WASTE IT ON THINGS THAT WILL MEAN VERY LITTLE BY NEXT WEEK.  Next week there will be more laundry to do and crazy thing about grass, it just keeps on growing! 


What meant the most to me this day was to see my dear friends in Lawrence and spend some time making a nice memory with them.  I will still remember the joy of this day next week, next month and in the years to come.  Sorry, but a perfectly manicured lawn and stack of neatly folded laundry really mean extremely little to me.  They can't "hold a candle" to the reward of spending time with friends.  


Have a good Saturday evening all....hey, why not call a friend tonight?  Just because.....



No comments:

Post a Comment