Monday, July 29, 2013

~back on the ground once again~

Good morning to you all from a place, even though it is still more than a "stone's throw" from my old home in Kansas, that is a whole lot closer than where I spent the last four days.  I slept in this morning, I mean I REALLY slept in for me.  When I woke up the bright sunshine was coming in through the window and the clock in our bedroom said it was "6:15".  That's a couple of hours past my usual time to wake up and I guess I must have needed the extra sleep.  This travelling stuff is not so easy for me and I don't really do that "zombie" look all so well.  But I woke up on this, the 21,096th day of my life and I'm taking this as the "sign" that God still has much in store for this "pilgrim" on earth.

I had the chance to learn a lot of things about people as I made the journey out to Whidbey Island and back again and it was with much gratitude that I realized just how blessed I really am.  This was only my second time to fly since I last went to El Paso, Texas in the springtime of 1986.  Had it not been for the encouragement of my youngest child Ursela this past March, I would never have walked aboard another airplane again.  After the terrorist attacks of September 2001, I was absolutely finished with flying on planes.  There was no way that I would have considered it again.  For well over ten years I kept my vow of no flying EVER.  Yet as I sat in the Seattle airport yesterday and watched the faces of all the people quickly hustling to and from their flights I realized one important thing.  99.99999% of all those folks there were pretty much just like me.  They weren't there to cause trouble, not getting ready to fly in order to carry out any kind of plot against anyone.  I was looking at the faces of mothers and fathers, grandparents, sisters and brothers, someone's neighbours and friends. Those ordinary people just wanted to get somewhere like, I don't know, "home" maybe?

On the four flights that I was on, each plane was filled to capacity and then some.  People from all walks of life were there alongside me.  A dozen different religious faiths and nationalities were represented, the age spectrum ranged from brand new life to an elderly gentleman who must have been nearing 100, and the ratio between male/female fliers was pretty much the same.  There were excited kids getting ready to visit grandparents they had never even met yet and a group of REALLY tired kids who were heading back home to Denver after a week's vacation in California.  Yet with all of the variety of travellers packed in like sardines on each United flight, I just didn't feel afraid any more and for that I am thankful.  Perhaps the greatest thing I learned about people was something that I already knew but the unfortunate events of so long ago in NYC, the Pentagon and a lonely farm field in Pennsylvania had taken away from me and that something was this~While yes we do have to be aware, no one should have to live their life in the fear of something happening to them each day.  Because if we DO live like that, then it's not all that much of a life any ways.  Ok, that's the end of my sermon on trusting people on airplanes, I promise :)

It was really nice to visit the different parts of the island and to see how it is that my son and daughter-in-law will be living these days to come ahead.  I had the experience of drinking some pretty strong coffee in a place they call The Useless Bay Coffee Company.  My sons both laughed as they saw me take my first sip of it, having never given me any kind of warning of what it might be like.  Hey, sure cured me from buying more than a cup of it!  This morning as I sit at the table typing this blog post I'm glad to be able to drink "normal people's" coffee.  By the way, no offense towards those of you who like to drink coffee that has to be spooned from the pot to pour it.  I just like mine a little on the lighter side.


And in all fairness to this fine establishment, their menu is filled with plenty of good things to order from in addition to that really strong coffee, so if you should ever find yourself visiting the city of Langley, Washington be sure to check them out.

From our room at the Langley Hotel, the view of the bay in Puget Sound was literally in my own backyard.  It was really nice to walk down the path and to be able to stop and watch the ships and small boats that were coming in and out all day.  It put me in mind of my "bucket list" trip to Maine last year in a time that I finally got to get my first glimpse of what the sea looked like and my much beloved Portland Head Lighthouse.  I spent a lot of time on the deck overlooking the harbour and taking in the sights, sounds and smells of a place that for most of my life I never knew existed.  Although it was quite beautiful there on Puget Sound, I kind of prefer the coastline of Maine better.  Not sure why that is the case but maybe it has something to do with the fact that it was the first I ever saw.  Both were beautiful though and I am glad that I was able to see the northwest as well as the northeast.
                  A treat for all of the senses~from right in my own "temporary" back yard.

And I'm thinking I should have named my middle child, my dear son Grahame, "MacGyver" or something because true to the fictional TV character's personae, that tall and lanky 24-year old son of mine bailed me out of trouble more times than I care to mention.  I accidentally let my St. Christopher's medallion and chain fall down in between the very skinny area between the bathroom vanity and the wall on Saturday evening.  After looking where it landed, I was ready to say that it was never to be hung around this traveller's neck again.  I tried everything to retrieve it, including a long butcher knife and plastic spatula combination that only pushed it further back.  When Grahame came back from the store and saw the look on my tear-filled face, he only laughed and said not to worry, that he'd get it for me.  He came back from his car with a roll of thin wire and proceeded in no time flat to actually manage to pull that very special necklace out for me.  And just for good measure, he also grabbed the hot neon pink hair pick that someone before me must have lost as well.  Later on that evening as I zipped up my old backpack filled with what I was taking back on the plane, part of the zipper broke and there I was in big trouble once again. This time Grahame said only, "Mom just hang on a minute."  He went to his car one more time and THIS time came back with some dental floss (that kid would make a great contestant for the TV show, Let's Make a Deal)  With seemingly no trouble at all, he made enough of a repair to hold that dang 10-year old backpack together enough to make the flights home.  I sure do love and much appreciate that boy!



Just before the wedding on Saturday, down at the tea and cookies table~My two sons, Ricky and Grahame plus Ricky's best friend from St. Louis, Gary.  A fine group of young men~

Well time to get this Monday started and I hope that wherever you are in this huge yet ever shrinking world of ours, that you have a good day and week to follow it.  Come later on towards the end of the week, Mike and I are heading back to Kansas for a visit with our friends and family there so I'll be in a familiar part of the "woods".  We are happy to bring back with us, Mike's mom and to have her stay with us here in Montrose for a while.  Soon this summer will come to a close and what an eventful summer it will have been for me.  Take care everyone of you and be at peace with your lives.  Did any of us meet up with one another by accident?  Absolutely not~it was definitely a part of the "plan".


A message to my dear friend, LeRoy Willis~thanks for "calling me out" in a kind and caring way about my bicycle being in its current stage of "slothfulness".  You are right my good friend~thanks for caring enough to say so :)  I shall soon try to do something about it, I promise!



No comments:

Post a Comment